Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 3 weeks ago

is yellow crust normal around my septum piercing?

I heard crusties are meant to be white but mine are yellow, it’s not red or sore around the area and i’ve been cleaning it regularly i got it pierced a week ago

Favorite Answer

I don't know where you heard this from, but it's nonsense. When sebum dries, it turns yellow. I don't know if you've ever had a lingering scab or picked a zit, but those crusts are YELLOW. Yellow crusts means things are healing fine, nothing to worry about. If it's very noticable, you can soak the crusts off, but never pick at them. They are your body's natural "stopper" to plug up the leaks, which are normal as well. Your body thinks the piercing is a foreign object, which it technically is, so your body is doing everything it can to force it out and heal the area on its own, thus the sebum coming out, to PROTECT the area you just punched a hole through. 

It's all normal, all fine. You're good to go. You don't need to up the cleaning, you don't need to do anything different. Just carry on like normal and let it heal.

It's pretty normal, maybe try upping the cleaning ? 

I know when mine was healing I used to do a salt soak everyday for the first two weeks but the colour isn't really concerning unless it's a pale green or bright yellow. 

Source(s): Healed septum