JWs and non-JWs: Will the earth endure forever? How do you interpret the bible?

Update:

Very interesting Ann. Any JWs who want to refute Anns answer with scripture?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • TeeM
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Is the earth going to endure forever?

Let us see what God's word actually says:

Gen 8:21 And Jehovah smelled a sweet odor. And Jehovah said in His heart, I will never again curse the ground for man's sake, because the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth. And I will not again smite every living thing as I have done. [MKJV]

Jehovah has promised all living things, 'I will never again destroy every living thing, as I have done.' [NASB]

God's word states, '2 or more witnesses to establish facts'.

Eccl 1:4 A generation goes and a generation comes, But the earth remains forever. [NASB]

If as Annsan states is true, then Jehovah would be a liar.

According to God's word what is destroyed?

Prov 2:21 For the upright will live in the land And the blameless will remain in it; 22 But the wicked will be cut off from the land And the treacherous will be uprooted from it. [NASB]

Psa 37:9 For evildoers shall be cut off; but those who wait on Jehovah, they shall inherit the earth [land NASB]. 10 It is but a little while, and the wicked shall not be; yea, you shall search his place, and he shall not be. 11 But the meek shall inherit the earth [land NASB], and shall delight themselves in the overflowing of peace. [MKJV]

Matt 5:5 "Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth. [MKJV & NASB]

2Pe 3:7 But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. [NASB]

It is easy to see that it is the ungodly and wicked who are destroyed and not the literal planet nor the literal heavens and earth.

What is interesting, I found out recently, Ann believes the word 'land & earth' in these verses actually means heaven. 

It is easy to make God's word say what you want it to say, when you change the meaning of words.

Since the 'land / earth' is to never again be destroyed, how does it become 'new'?

Christians are told to 'put on the NEW personality or NEW man or NEW self' [NWT; KJV; NASB] 

Does this mean Christians are literally to kill themselves?

No it means making ourselves over, removing the wicked man within us and in our imperfections, strive to do God's will and not our own.

To let Godly qualities guide us, doing things the way Christ taught us to.

Eph 4:22 that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, 23 and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth. 

From these verses, God creates us new, not by literally destroying us first, but by being 'RENEWED'

Eph 4:23  And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; [KJV]

For some 4,000 years the hope of the resurrection was to the earth,

An earth or land where sickness, and unrighteousness would be gone.

Did Jehovah lie to his people for so many years?  NO!

There was one promise to Israel, that Israel failed to receive because they 'stumbled' by rejecting Jesus, they as a nation didn't 'strictly obey God's voice'.

(Exodus 19:5, 6) 5 Now if you will strictly obey my voice and keep my covenant, you will certainly become my special property out of all peoples, for the whole earth belongs to me. 6 You will become to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’

(1 Peter 2:8-10) . . .They are stumbling because they are disobedient to the word. To this very end they were appointed. 9 But you are “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for special possession, that you should declare abroad the excellencies” of the One who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 For you were once not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not been shown mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Peter tells us the Christian Congregation would become this new nation, this new creation.

Gal 6:15 For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. 16 And those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God. 

When God created this new nation, this new creation did he literally destroyed the old nation?

NO, he left time for individuals of the 'old nation' to become part of this new nation.

It is this new creation that goes to heaven to rule with Christ.

Is the earth going to endure forever?

YES, because our Loving and Caring heavenly Father has promised us it would.

/

• 2 months ago

Not to interpret the Bible, but the Bible seems to say that the glorified and perfected Earth shall be our new Heaven and new Earth.

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Scripture says the earth will be destroyed by fire.  Then will appear a NEW heaven and a NEW earth.

• 2 months ago

4 scriptures that prove to me in simple words that the earth was created to be lived on forever and will never be destroyed:

“The righteous will possess the earth, and they will live forever on it.”​—Psalm 37:29.

“[God] has established the earth on its foundations; it will not be moved from its place forever and ever.”​—Psalm 104:5.

“The earth remains forever.”​—Ecclesiastes 1:4.

“The One who formed the earth, its Maker who firmly established it, . . . did not create it simply for nothing, but formed it to be inhabited.”​—Isaiah 45:18.

Source(s): jw.org
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Not a Jw but what Ann said defies Scripture and Jw's have it right.

Ecclesiastes 1:4 says "One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever."

Psalm 104:5

He set the earth on its foundations, never to be moved.

Psalm 119:90

Your faithfulness continues through all generations; You established the earth, and it endures.

Psalm 125:1

Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion. It cannot be moved; it abides forever.

What Ann forget God said "We worship in spirit and in truth" (John 4:23-24).  Therefore everything should be seen from a spiritual perspective.

Jesus was saying in Luke 21:33 "Heaven and earth will pass away BEFORE My Words  pass away" and since "the earth endures forever" small chance!

II Thessalonians 1:7-10 is saying His saints are going to judge the world (v10) "Or don't you know that we will judge angels?" (I Corinthians 6:3).

God's Word is FIRE that the saints (((SHOULD BE))) judging with but today's Christians have created their own commandment "Thou shalt not judge" that is NO PLACE in Scripture.

"Wherefore thus saith the LORD God of hosts, Because ye speak this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them"  (Jeremiah 5:14).

That's how God burns up the world.

"The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted" (Palm 46:6) from the Word of God (Jeremiah 5:14).

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The Bible says that man will live eternally on earth, so, yes, the earth will endure forever.

• 2 months ago

No.

2Pet 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.  11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives.

The way I interpret "everything will be destroyed" is that everything will be destroyed.  Below is the definition of destroy.

de·stroy/dəˈstroi/verb: put an end to the existence of (something) by damaging or attacking it.

Or using your words, it will not "endure forever".

• 2 months ago

A non-HW here. God promised that "For as long as the earth endures, there shall be seed-time and harvest, summer and winter, day and night" and that He would never destroy all life on Earth via another flood - Genesis 8:22 & 9:15. Note that it does NOT say the Earth WILL endure forever! Jesus said that "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away" Luke 21:33. And their passing away will be by fire, as described in 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10, at the time that Jesus returns to Earth in judgment. See also 2 Peter 3:10-13 which adds that, after the heavens disappear with a roar and earth is laid bare by fire, there will be "a new heavens and a new earth, the home of righteousness."

This means that there will be a transformation that will result in a restoration of the heavens and the earth to the perfection they were originally created in. In that way, the Earth will abide forever, but it will not be able to endure the day of His coming! It will be transformed forever! And if you thought the Flood was drastic, just wait till the Day of Fire!

Some refuse to accept any literal application and spiritualize it all, saying 'fire' is only symbolic of cleansing, as claim the JWs. But then they literalize other parts of the prophecies! You can't treat God's word like that. You have to take all of it and, whether you understand it or not, accept the promises of God and believe that He knows how and when He shall carry it all out.

• 2 months ago

At the end of this present age, Christ will return and all will be changed, including the earth, which will be extensively renovated/transformed and become a place where God dwells with man, for eternity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.