In 2 Samuel 7, God tells king David through Nathan that his kingdom will last forever. Where is his kingdom now?

From the time of the fall of Jerusalem, to the birth of Christ, where was David's kingdom?

2 Samuel 7

16 Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me[b]; your throne will be established forever.’”

I know the answer, but I find the Christian common belief has to spiritualize the answer. What if you didn't have to do that? Where is a ruling descendant of king David since king Zedekiah?

I am not implying that God keeps his word. I am saying that it cannot be Jesus, 1) he claimed this world was not his kingdom. So that is out. God's word is true. 2) Jesus didn't even show up, until what we call the First Century. So God's word has to include descendants of David on a throne, ruling over his people somewhere in the world.

It cannot be Israel because Israel is not a kingdom, and hasn't been a kingdom since the time of the Hasmonean dynasty, but none of them were of the line of David. So what happened to Jeremiah? Did he die in Egypt? Or did he take the daughters of Zedekiah, Jeremiah's nieces, to other places? They were of David's line and God's work is true. Traditional attempts to explain Jeremiah and company does not prove God's word true. Who has the balls to try to figure it out?

John 18:36

Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.”

Favorite Answer

Jesus is descended from David via his mother Mary, who was of the tribe of Judah and thus physically descended from David. This fulfills God’s promise to David that the fruit of his loins would reign on his throne forever. 

Who said in Matthew 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, til they see the Son of man coming in His Kingdom" Who came back (Acts 1:2) on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:2-4) as promised (John 14:18; 26).

"And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a Kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the Kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever" (Daniel 2:44).

Yoel 

Just like the Bible is not God neither is the Jewish law Torah so don't give me that BULLSHYT (Daniel 4:35)!

Through the prophet Nathan, God had promised King David that one day he would have an heir who would rule on the throne of Israel forever:

12 "When your days are over and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, your own flesh and blood, and I will establish His Kingdom. 

13 He is the One who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of His Kingdom forever" (II Samuel 7:12-13).

3 “I have made a covenant with My chosen;

I have sworn to David My servant,

4 I will establish your seed forever

And build up your throne to all generations” (Psalm 89:3-4)!

6 "For to us a child is born,

to us a son is given,

and the government will be on his shoulders.

And he will be called

Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,

Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

7 "Of the increase of his government and peace

there will be no end.

He will reign on David’s throne

and over his kingdom,

establishing and upholding it

with justice and righteousness

from that time on and forever.

The zeal of the LORD Almighty

will accomplish this" (Isaiah 9:6-7)!

"Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son" (I John 2:22).

ANTICHRIST!

According to the Gospel of Saint Luke, Jesus Christ is the eternal king of the royal House of Israel.

Jewish people (you know - the ones who actually wrote the 'old testament') aren't in agreement on whether or not the stories about King David are even accurate.

Christians like to view the bible (which co-opted the Jewish Torah) as a 100% accurate historical account, which it was never actually intended to be.

The genealogy of David's descendants is in the Bible, with the gap from the fall of Jerusalem till the birth of Christ covered in Matthew 1:1-17. The list has David and descendants up to the Babylonian exile, then a list from after the exile to Jesus Christ, the King of the Kingdom for all eternity. Matthew focused on the kingly line of descent, whereas Luke is a bit different due to focusing on Mary's line. It has to be said that the Samuel promise does not actually say that every legitimate descendant of David WOULD rule as King, only that they should because they were entitled to; the fact that some of them did not does not break the kingly line of descent, nor their claim.

The House of David remains, and the Kingdom is eternal, having Christ as its King, ruling from Heaven. This is not 'spiritualizing' anything, for Jesus is a historic character and is arisen from the dead and alive today.

• Ralph

Well I get what your saying, but Jerusalem still exists. Just in case you didn't know its located in a place called Israel. 

King David still has descendants. The righteous Mashiach will emerge from King David's progeny. This kingdom will not be destroyed forever. The kingdom of Israel is King David's kingdom which will have heirs who will sit on his throne. God said He will not take away the kingdom from king david or deny him the eternal crown of royalty upon him and his descendants including the real Messiah which hasn't arrived yet!

Kind David's kindgom was never truly destroyed. Are you implying God doesn't keep His promises? God can destroy bricks and stone but oneday there will be an everlasting kingdom of Israel on earth. That doesn't mean necessarily that people will exist in human bodies like we do now forever. It means until the end of time or until God decides to give us the World to Come. 

The bible states clearly God will create a new world and a new heaven. I know Jehovah's Witnesses take that very literally. However forever doesn't always literally mean infinity. It can mean without a specified time limit. When the bible says the earth will endure forever it can mean the earth will not be destroyed by man. 

The world to come may be completely different to this physical earth. In truth we don't know what the "World to Come" means. In general we think of it as the afterlife like heaven i.e. a spiritual world or place or prhaps even some kind of physical paradise but where suffering, limitation and so on don't exist. Imagine a world where God is always there and gives you whatever you need. Literally like God was walking too and fro in the Garden of Eden. To be in the prescence of God you cannot possibly be bored or lack anything because God knows how to give us a purpose and truly happy forever.

Unlike this world where we don't get what we want and feel disatisfied those thoughts and feelings will never cross our mind. Like a dog that is overjoyed to play with its owner or other dogs there will be no disappointment. We won't even have to search our heart because God knows the heart of mankind. Something we take on faith.

Norine you are a FALSE PROPHET! Jewish law-Torah law says lineage goes through the father NOT mother. JC had NO CONNECTION to the tribe of kind david.

Like the RCC some of those verses have been twisted! Actually The Everlasting Father, Wonderful Councillor etc etc called him Prince of peace. NOT he is Everlasting Father etc etc. See Chabad.org by reading the Jewish binle which translates the right context from the original Hebrew. Jews believe King Hezekiah was the prince of peace when he defeated the Assyrians.

Source(s): Orthodox Jew

Read Amos 8 Amos 9 Jesus Christ is King