Brie asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Am I traumatized by saving a gruesomely injured kitten?

I found I kitten who had been hit by a car a few days prior to me finding her. She was badly Injured her foot barely hanging by a bit of skin was rotting off and she had exposed bone on her leg. I have never seen anything injured to that extent before. I can get the image out of my head  and keep smelling the kittens injured leg even though it’s not really there. I don’t know if this will go away it’s only been a day but I don’t understand if it just because I am still worried about the kitten (I took her to a local shelter so they could tend to her needs) or if it’s because I am traumatized. Should I seek help if so? Or just wait it out? I am 17 and have never experienced anything like this. 

• Ocimom

You should be fine in a few days.  

Of course the experience is disturbing you, it's a very hard thing to see and deal with.

However you're not "traumatized," not in the sense of the word you're using it. Of course the image is going to be in your head, especially the day after it happens. The experience is fresh in your mind, and it makes sense it's still disturbing you. I would be worried if it didn't bother you at all. But it definitely isn't something that you need to get professional help for. If you're still thinking about it every day several weeks from now, then maybe talk to someone close to you about it.

If you need to take your mind off it then I would encourage you to go out somewhere with friends, or do something active. If you're worried about the kitten then go check on it at the shelter, and see how it's doing. There is certainly a chance it might not survive. But you know that you did the best you can do, by taking it to the shelter, and you gave it the best chance it's got to survive. 

• Maxi

Of course you are traumatised, any animal loving person would be and it will take time or you to feel different........

Thank you for doing that. It's lovely that you saved the life of the kitten. Chances are, she may grow up to be a three legged cat- but believe me 3 legged cats are very capable of living happy lives.

Just be proud of what you did. It was traumatic to see an animal like that, but I'm sure she will live a good life in future

Awww honey. You did a good thing, but you're right, you're probably a bit traumatized. Seeing something like that is extremely distressing. I don't think you need professional help, but you should try to relax and talk it out with someone you trust.