So the radio in my 89 Lincoln Town Car turns on in lights up but there's nothing but static noise what is the cause of this?

I checked all the wires in the back of the radio and they were all unhooked but I hooked them back up but I get nothing but static noise

Update:

It has a tape player in it but if I go to put the tape in it and play it I can't even hear the tape either

Update 2:

I hook the radio back up yesterday so no I don't have a dead battery the car still runs the radio turns on and off just fine even the tuner works actually all the buttons work

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

How did the wires get unhooked?? 

Receiving only static might give the idea that no signals are being received.  Have you plugged in the antenna wire??

• fuzzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's stuffed - replace it

• 2 months ago

Have you connected it to an antenna?

• 2 months ago

Have you connected it to an antenna?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

There's a good chance that your radio is BROKEN, BUSTED, WORN OUT, SHOT, NEEDS REPAIRS.  Who "unhooked" all the wires......WHY?  The car is 31 years old - if you expect it to go forever and not require repairs, you are going to be disappointed.

• 2 months ago

Why stress go to the junkyard and get another radio for $50 for an 89 Lincoln Town car!

• JJ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you only hear the static when listening to the radio, and not when listening to CDs or any auxiliary audio sources, then the problem is either with the antenna, the tuner, or some external source of interference. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.