East
Lv 4
East asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

OK to get a refund from my gym when I cancel my membership, if gym allows it?

My neighborhood gym has a long-standing policy: you can cancel your membership and get a refund if you’ve been a member for more than a year.

I don’t trust that the gym is safe for avoiding coronavirus (and I am sick of a few obnoxious people), so I am cancelling my membership and joining another gym (at a private club where I am already a member). 

I would expect that the neighborhood is under financial strain, since it was closed for months.

Inappropriate of me to ask for a refund when I cancel my membership? I feel cheap and greedy in doing that, but the gym allows it.

Thanks.

Update:

Thanks, the membership agreement still allows refunds. It seems kind of greedy for me to request a refund though.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • JuanB
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

The whole intent of gyms having a yearly membership is to take advantage of your good intentions.  People tend to be very committed, especially at the beginning of the year.  The motivation tends to wear off in 1 week to 2 months.  So,  does the gym have a 1 week membership or 2 month membership for these people?  No, they sucker you into signing up for a year.  They may or may not have an easy way out of it.  They know even if people stop going they may take a couple more months before they try to get a refund.

So given they have all these members who pay and don't use the service, you should feel no guilt when you actually need to cancel.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Did you read your contract before signing up?  The "longstanding policy" may have changed in light of the pandemic.  You can ask about a refund, but don't be surprised if the longstanding policy has changed.

• 3 weeks ago

thats up to you

• 3 weeks ago

I suggest you reread the membership contract.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.