East
East asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

OK to get a refund from my gym when I cancel my membership, if gym allows it?

My neighborhood gym has a long-standing policy: you can cancel your membership and get a refund if you’ve been a member for more than a year.

I don’t trust that the gym is safe for avoiding coronavirus (and I am sick of a few obnoxious people), so I am cancelling my membership and joining another gym (at a private club where I am already a member). 

I would expect that the neighborhood is under financial strain, since it was closed for months.

Inappropriate of me to ask for a refund when I cancel my membership? I feel cheap and greedy in doing that, but the gym allows it.

Thanks.

Thanks, the membership agreement still allows refunds. It seems kind of greedy for me to request a refund though.

• JuanB
    Favorite Answer

The whole intent of gyms having a yearly membership is to take advantage of your good intentions.  People tend to be very committed, especially at the beginning of the year.  The motivation tends to wear off in 1 week to 2 months.  So,  does the gym have a 1 week membership or 2 month membership for these people?  No, they sucker you into signing up for a year.  They may or may not have an easy way out of it.  They know even if people stop going they may take a couple more months before they try to get a refund.

So given they have all these members who pay and don't use the service, you should feel no guilt when you actually need to cancel.

Did you read your contract before signing up?  The "longstanding policy" may have changed in light of the pandemic.  You can ask about a refund, but don't be surprised if the longstanding policy has changed.

thats up to you

I suggest you reread the membership contract.