Is it possible to work for a US company, but live in another country?

For instance - let's say I have a remote job that is based in the US. They may even say the position is "remote within the US". But, considering all the crazy political stuff going on right now, I want to move to another country, but retain my US citizenship (aka get a dual citizenship within another country).

Is this possible?

17 Answers

  • 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

    It is possible, but there are a few things to consider.

    1- Some countries do allow dual citizenship. However some citizenships will cause you problems with the State Department.

    2 - As a foreign resident, you are still subject to US taxes. Unless there is a tax treaty with the country, you are going to pay full local and US taxes.

    3 - On the topic of taxes, the IRS will flag you for audits regularly. You will need to have all your tax documents translated into English, and have the correct US dollar values calculated for these taxes.

    4 - Also, in almost every country, you are going to have to file bank forms proving that you are not doing any type of money laundering. 

    5 - Transferring money is expensive, always tricky, and occasionally impossible.

    Source(s): I went to live and work in a foreign country in 1985, and gave up my US citizenship in 1999.
  • 3 weeks ago

    I worked in a large corporation, and we had a number of people who did that.  Generally, it was to work in an office that the company had in that country, not to work from home at the other country.  One of my colleagues was assigned to a mainland China site for 3 years to be an interface with US counterparts, and bring them up to speed with US culture.  It's not a move to be taken lightly.

    I'm also unclear as to how moving to another country, but retaining US citizenship, would shield you from anything.  If you don't like your particular location, simply moving to a different part of the country, or a smaller / larger town, might be all it takes.

  • 3 weeks ago

    Possible, yes.  Just not very likely.

    When working in the USA as a non-resident, you'd need to have experience and qualifications that no American resident in that area has.  It's not like you can (for example) live in Windsor ON and apply for a factory assembly job in Detroit MI with no questions asked.

  • garry
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

    yes , lots of foreign companies have there own people , take erricson , international company with branches every where and there employees are some time swedish , just remember you pay tax to the new country , not the americans .

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

    That is up tot the individual employer.  IS it possible?  Yes.

  • 3 weeks ago

    You are asking different questions with different answers:

    1. There are thousands of U.S.-based companies that have both remote and office-based workers throughout the world.

    2. A company that says "remote within the US" wants an employee who is easy to reach and whose "normal office hours" will be within the time zones of the U.S.  

    3.  Since you aren't already in a different country, it doesn't sound like you have any idea of what it takes to move to a different country on a permanent basis or how long it takes to get dual citizenship. Or what type of visas are required or what the tax structure in the the country you choose.

    4. There are complexities to paying employees in different currency and with different  tax regulations and banking systems. If an employer isn't set up for that, they aren't going to do it for one person.  

  • 3 weeks ago

    Many countries do not allow a person to "get" dual citizenship.  You can be born with dual citizenship, but if you weren't, then to get citizenship in many countries, you have to give up any citizenship you have in any other country.

    Also, for a variety of reasons, many companies won't let anyone work for them in another country; some won't even allow you to travel outside the U.S. with a computer that has work files on it.

  • 3 weeks ago

    Its possible but may be difficult to find the right job and depending on where you go, it might be difficult to get citizenship in the new country, but its possible.

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    anything is possible

  • 3 weeks ago

    Yes, a US citizen can do that legally.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    Yes. But, it is going to be a while with the covid. We have too many cases in the USA.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.