shantala asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Are different boundaries for different times of the day ok for dogs or will it leave them confused?

I share a yard with my neighbors and they don’t like my dogs about. Can I train my dogs to use the yard only in the nighttime and expect them not to be there in the day?How do I stop them from using it during the day without physically threatening them? Would this be ok or too confusing for the dogs? Thanks!

Quite honestly, unless you can split the outside area between you and your neighbours with fencing so your dogs can come and go when needed (and if they make a lot of noise you bring them indoors), I can't see an arrangement like that ever working or was ever going to.

Perhaps it's now time to start looking for somewhere else to live so your dogs can have their own secure outside area.

Dogs arent that complex.   They cant understand that its ok one time and not another...  Even young children have a hard time with that concept...  I do shared parenting with my kids and we keep similar household rules, because they have a very hard time with "its oknto do this at dads but not at moms"..  Keeping similar boundaries and rules at all times makes it easier..  And sets them up for succesa.

If you share a yard, you need to find a compromise.  Either set hours where you take turns.. You keep the dogs indoors during the neighbors turn..  Or get some kind of barrier to split the yard in the middle.

Or perhaps the issue is that you dont clean up after the dogs?

Or get a large chainlink kennel for your dogs to use instead of the whole yard.

Can't you fence the yard in half?  

What if the dogs need to pee at noon?  If your dogs are not aggressive, what is the problem.  What are the consequences of your dogs being out when other dogs are out?  I don't understand the problem if your dogs are not aggressive.  Are your dogs trained in Basic Obedience?  If so they should have a solid recall.  Do your dogs intimidate other dogs?  Are your dogs pit bulls?  If not what breed are they?  Why are your dogs being a problem? As you see I have more questions to be able to answer this question.

What problems do your dogs cause?

It would be beyond ridiculous to expect your dogs to understand this kind of arbitrary "rule".  If you don't get along with your neighbors, buy your dogs as large an outdoor run as you can and keep them in there when necessary.  And make sure they're getting out of that prison for a LOT of exercise!