My parents had a Chevrolet Corsica. When you drove it, the fuel gauge pointer moved back and forth. Was this normal?

The gauge is signaled by a float in the gas tank. Fuel sloshing around doesn't stay at the same level. For your car, the bobbing was normal.

Other than moving towards 'E' as you drive it, and back up to 'F' when you fill it, no - it shouldn't move back and forth.

I've got a 2000 Chevy S-10 that stays on 'F', I just fill it and reset the trip-odometer.  It's a 4-cylinder, and has a 19 gallon tank, and can go over 400 miles (depending on how it is driven) so I just refill when I start getting close.

• F

Possibly, I remember my dads cars from the 60 and 70s, the needles on all the gauages  never seemed steady. How you knew What speed you were doing Ill never know.

No. Ive never seen it. Sounds like sender had worn  axle.

I have seen worn wipers on rheostats that indicated "E" all the time. And one  that indicated "1/4" " when actually empty.

There are NO "dampers" in a car. Some aircraft use  a capacitive gauge that  is self damping. Planes Pitch, Yaw, Roll, cars Dont. At least, Not normally. The gauge Itself on  this car  is thermal, it takes time to indicate a change. Note, how long it takes to move upscale to "F" when ignition on.  A D'Arsonval meter, like on a plane, Snaps up instantly. 

It is not normal. The fuel float damper has broken loose or something. Some vehicles use a meachanical damper and others use an electronic circuit dampening to slow the response of the float indication so that it doesn't do what your's is doing. flinging up and down. You can put up with it or have it checked out and fixed. Depends on you!

It's possible that was normal for that car since some Corsicas had an instrument cluster with very few gauges on it.  The ones without a tachometer just had a speedometer, fuel gauge and temp gauge.  The fuel and temp gauges were made almost comically large to fill the space.  It's possible you'd notice the fuel needle fluctuating due to fuel sloshing around in the tank since the fuel gauge was so big.    

I never drove it.