Do we actually need Java, or Flash in our computers?

• 5 days ago

We need Flash in our computers.

• 1 week ago

we actually need flash on computer.

Java is a useless thing.

Flash is at End-Of-Life. HTML5 is the way forward. You only need Java for specific applications. 

• oyubir

The last time I needed one was in 2011.

My current computer (bought in 2011) never had any java nor flash plugin installed. And I almost never had even the occasion to notice their absence. Let alone the will to install them (I think once or two, I visited a web page that needed flash to run. I just clicked on the next result in google. Not that I am opposed to flash. If that was important to me, I would have installed flash. But it was not worth taking the time to install it)

So, in short, no.

Flash is an obsolete, insecure, inefficient technology, that is way outperformed by HTML5/JS/Canvas/WebGL/etc 

Java was never really a web tech (in 1995, maybe, some people were thinking like that. But it never took. At most, it was a method to run heavy client directly from a webpage. But that was for specific usage, not standard web browsing).

• Lv 7

flash is going away in December, and should be removed.

you only need Java if you use a Java-based program, game, or webapp.

In the internet world, Java is deprecated. No browser but internet explorer, which is also going to die soon, supports Java and Java applets. The reason was security concerns. It was replaced by Flash, which is what we've had until now and we will till it reaches its end of life in December of this year. Which means Flash is also dead. Therefore, you don't "need" either of those, simply cause they're dead.

You need Java on your computer to run standalone jar files.

Possibly.  Even though both programs are sunsetting (about to no longer be used) there are still thousands (if not millions) of websites that have either a Java or a Flash component to them.  Without the programs on your computer those web site will not function.  And may not even load.

Since we have no idea what all sites you visit we can not predict whether you need either of those programs.

If it is a new computer and they are not loaded then do not load them.  If it turns out you need either, you will get an error from the website telling you to get the program (and often offering to download it for you.)  You can add it then if you need it.