Rita asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 weeks ago

When do you know it is the correct grammar in second person for neo, neon, niga or nega to mean ‘you’?

I have learned that there are many words for the word “you” in the Korean language by listening to K-pop songs while reading the Hangul, Romanization, and English translation subtitles, and I have noticed and found out that there are so many words to call the person you are talking to—to refer to the second person. And I just want to know, what are the differences? When would be the appopriate time for the appopriate grammar you use as a sentence for?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Let us hope that a speaker of Korean sees your question.

Your last sentence dies not really make sense.

• 3 weeks ago

'you' (subject pronoun: the person being addressed) : 

- 당신 ("dangsin") (impolite to a stranger, more commonly used between mature married couples)

- 너 ("neo") (informal, implies that the person being referred to by the pronoun is of equal or lower social rank compared to the speaker)

- 네 ("ne") (informal, implies that the person being referred to by the pronoun is of equal or lower social rank compared to the speaker)

- 자네 ("jane") (used generally in addressing a person of distinctly lower status)

'you' (object pronoun: the group being addressed) : 

- (generic, discourteous if used for a superior) 너희 ("neohui")

- (honorific) 여러분 ("yeoreobun")

- (slightly rude) 너희 ("neohui") 

- (highly insulting) 이놈들 ("inomdeul")

- (very familiar) 니네 ("nine"), 니들 ("nideul") (insulting if used wrongly)

- (intimate, in business, used toward subordinates) 자네들 ("janedeul")

Source(s): Wiktionary
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.