Danielle asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Dogs ate milk chocolate... Help?

I threw out a hazelnut dairy Milk chocolate bar last night that had 4 little squares left in it. I just found my two dogs had gotten into the garbage and the wrapper was on the floor without the chocolate. They're both 10lbs each. Should I bring them to the vet? Is that enough chocolate to hurt them

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

    According to the toxicity calculator I used, no symptoms are expected. However, it can be of help if you do take the dogs to a vet, even if they don't show any symptoms, for the sake of the dog's health.

    Just make sure that you keep all foods which are toxic to dogs well out of their reach in future.

    Hope this helps.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Instead of going to your computer & navigate to this site, CALL YOUR VET.  It could be an emergency.

    Mild chocolate is not as bad as dark chocolate & it could just be artificial flavoring.  You could be okay but then again you may not be okay.  At least call the Vet, or a Pharmacist.

    You dog could be in a very bad place & her you sit at the computer.  Call your Vet.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Not enough to do any permanent damage. Learn from this.

  • 4 weeks ago

    It takes up to 12 hours to see the affects of chocolate, and you are assuming they nicely shared (EVENLY) vs one dog getting ALL of the remaining chocolate.  In that we have no weight on the consumed chocolate, no one can say with any certainty, if you will need a vet.  Even small amounts of milk chocolate (when ingested by VERY SMALL dogs) can be BAD.  I suggest you google the affects and be on the "look out" for one or two SICK dogs; including vomiting & diarrhea.  If one becomes very sick (IMO) you will need vet help.  Know what to expect:

    https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_m...

    http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    Milk chocolate?  They're fine.

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    ring the vet and inquire

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.