Modifying louvered doors - removing the louvres?

Hi there.  I have a pair of louvered doors that I'd like to replace, but as they are 23.5" each, there's no easy way to replace them.  I'm considering removing the louvers and replacing with 3/4" plywood and painting to match.  Has anyone done this and is it a total PITA?  

Thanks for any info!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

For less cost and effort, replace the entire door. There ABSOLUTELY IS an easy way to replace ANY door. You may have to custom order a replacement, but that is ALWAYS easier than reconstructing the existing door. In fact, you can build a custom door yourself more easily than modifying the one you have.

• 4 weeks ago

it is a PITA.  best procedure is to buy new standard 24 inch doors and rip 1/2 off the side away from the hinge -- then use router to round the corners you've just created.  you'll want to use a saw with a good quality rip fence and remove any interfering hardware.  prime and paint the doors afterward.  alternative B: leave the louvers where they are and cover with some thin material such as snap together Pergo flooring that you then screw on, or use old fashioned mirror holds.  alternative C: use reflective vinyl/plastic mirror material instead of the flooring.  -- grampa  [don't remove the louvers -- yes, they can be cut to get them out ... but the process of fitting new material [3/8 plywood and something over it?] is painful ... you're going to discover the resulting frames aren't square and thus must be hand fitted and then you need some backer all the way around the opening to attach the new material to -- the existing louvers can be reused as the backer for thin material as in B and C ideas here, even if some of them have been damaged or destroyed.]

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes. It is quite easy saw down the middle of the louvres with a jigsaw and pull/wiggle them out from the frame and clean up the edges. I flushed over the whole door with thin masonite and only had to remove the louvres because they were standing proud of the frame, but you could trim a lump of ply to fit the opening and run a few long thin screws in from the edges to hold the glued in panel. Finish around with a nice moulding to cover the mutlitude of sins and paint. Check out the Hunted Interior blogspot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.