Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 4 weeks ago

Have standards of quality in arts and entertainment changed so much that they have actually reversed?

My dad says that people's tastes and standards have done a complete 180 turn in the last few decades.  He says that books, art, music and films that would have been considered tasteless garbage in earlier decades are now seen as masterpieces and considered to be high water marks of modern culture, while things that older generations would have called classics and masterpieces are judged by modern distorted tastes as contrived and worthless.

Is he right, or is he just saying "Get off my lawn"?  I do know that I prefer 70s movies to modern movies, and I like classic rock and newer indie rock music inspired by it way better than the pop and hip-hop of today.  BTW, My dad is 57 and I am 17.

He's just saying "Get off my lawn." I seriously doubt that he sits around in his spare time reading Tolstoy and Virginia Woolf and the Jin Ping Mei, am I right?

• Bobo

Music, art, movies, etc. are no longer tied to talent and artistic development.  They are boorish and simple minded, they appeal to a less sophisticated audience.  The problem is that the segment of the population that generates this stuff are emotional not objective thinkers--they reject hard work and therefore accept more political statements vice true art.

• rick

I think it's more an acceptance of mediocrity and bad art. Quality isn't recognized. GOOD artists and musicians are an anachronism.