Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 3 weeks ago

Do I still have to pay out of state tuition?

With my last year of high school coming up, me and my family really don't plan on staying here any longer. Most of the states are charging ridiculous tuition rates for out of state students. 

However, my question is - do I still have to pay out of state tuition if I move there and become a resident in like 6 months? My family would be moving with me as well, if that changes anything.


If I am to enroll to a university, then I would plan on finishing all 4 years there. Would I still be paying out of state tuition the second year?

3 Answers

  • MS
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    It depends on the rules of the particular institution.  But you generally have to live in a state for at least a year WITHOUT attending school there before you are considered a resident for tuition purposes.  You may be able to appeal that with documentation that your entire family has moved to the new state, but I wouldn't count on that being successful.

  • 3 weeks ago

    Contact the university and ask what their policy is. Look up the residency determination office.

  • Scott
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

    Most states require the student to have been a state resident and physically present for at least one year prior to enrollment to be considered an in-state student.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.