What movie will make you cry?

No movie has ever made me cry, The Lovely Bones came close, and so did Titanic. But not actually cry, just have a lump in my throat. What movie will definitely make me cry?

Favorite Answer

Are you open minded to silent films?  If so, I suggest the Charlie Chaplain classic "City Lights."  It is known as one of his most iconic comedies, full of high and low humor, but is also said to have one of the most moving endings in film history.

This David Lynch movie The Straight Story.

Lion

It has nothing to do with real lions. It is the story of a child who is lost and separated from his parents and then adopted by a loving family. Dev Patel does such an excellent job in this movie that you won’t be able to see it without crying.

Source(s): Image

Schindlers List and Philadelphia

Shenandoah (1965)

Brian's Song (1971)

Born Free (1966)

Where the Red Fern Grows (1974)  

Many: Beaches (1988), Steel Magnolias (1989), You're Not You (2014), Same Kind of Different as Me (2017), etc.

I am one of those people who does cry when watching a film.  I have seen the film Beaches so many times so I know what happens but I still cry.  I also cried when I watched the film Bambi, and cried watching the film Old Yeller.

The film that makes you finally cry will be the one that you are so engrossed in watching it just makes you cry when something sad happens.

Have you seen Toy Story 3?

When I was a kid I cried at Bambi and E.T.  As an adult I cried at the end of Saving Private Ryan.  When the guy years later stands in that cemetary and has sruvivor's guilt, wondering how his life could be worth all the lives lost to save him...Excuse me, I'm a little verklempt.... talk amongst yourselves....I'll give you a topic - The Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy nor Roman nor an Empire.  Discuss.....

Okay, I'm back.  The key to a movie making you cry is that you have to be able to REALLY immerse yourself in that movie.  The character has to seem real to you.  If you just view it as an actor playing a role, it will never reach you.  I'm not saying you have to identify with the character and imagine yourself as them, but the character has to FEEL REAL.  

And quite frankly, there aren't many movies that are well done enough to do that.  Also, it's easier to cry in the theater than on home screens.  The home screen is smaller, and there are distractions.  You're less immersed because in the movie theater your FULL attention is on that movie because there's nothing else to see or do...unless you're there for the purposes of making out.

The scene in Air Bud when the kid leaves the dog made me cry when I was young

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd2SNBQxIIs

Youtube thumbnail