Anonymous

Just failed my chemistry midterm & it’s worth 40% of my grade. Do you think I can still pass the class with a C?

I had a 72 before midterm now I probably have 60% grade but I don’t know? The semester is over in December with a final worth 30% should I stay in the class or drop it. I study hard for the midterm I think I have test anxiety :(

Hey my midterm grade is a 72. My professor had offer extra credit. 

• John

Get out a copy of your class syllabus.  Using your current actual grades fill in the various categories of grades (final, midterm, homework, quizzes, participation, or whatever) that you know.  Using those grades and the weights for each category, determine what you will need in the yet-to-be-done categories to get a C.  If you cannot do that math, you can ask for help from a classmate.  I would have to say, however, if that level of math is beyond you there is little chance of being able to pass chemistry.  You would need to get your basic math skills up before attempting chemistry again.

Probably not, but you really need to figure out a few things:

1. What is your actual cumulative grade now.  No guessing.  Find out.

2. WHY did you fail the mid-term.  Is it because you didn't study or were hung over and could have done well if you'd tried or did you study hard and you just don't get the material at all?

3. based on your answer to question #2, what can you do in the time remaining to help ensure you get the best possible grade on any remaining assignments and the final? Study, hire a tutor?

Basically, you need to get an A on the rest of the semester to even out the D/D- you currently have in the class to become a C/C+.  If you don't think that is a reasonable or realistic goal, then you need to figure out the consequences of dropping a class this late in the term.

• ?

You'd have to talk to your teacher.  It depends on how much weight is put on other assignments, and also if there is any way you can do extra credit.