Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

How can I become psychiatrist and do talk therapy?

Hi , I have a interest in becoming a person who helps an individual with their mental illness and also talk with those who need counseling. I just wanted to know if it's possible to do both ?

So don't beat me up on here but What do I need to obtain in life to become a psychiatrist ( I read somethings on the internet ) but what I can't find is how can I do both what degrees do I need ? Or what classes do I need to take?

Can I open up me a clinic too or home for the mentally ill and be my own person who sees patients and hire staff to take care of those in need (someone answer this ) ugh my head is filled and all over with so many questions. Lol

Thanks for all the help from anyone who can provide answers in helping me in advance. 

Good bless thanks. 

I know a psychiatrist is a doctor ! I want to treat mental illness and counsel patients too !!! I just wanted to know is it possible to do both and what I needed to do to become that's all. Maybe I didn't write it well. 

• LAN

You really seem too stupid to have that as a realistic goal.  Aim a little lower.   Shoot for something in the busboy range of ability.

Phychiatrist is a medical doctor.  You need a medical degree since they are doctors that can prescribe medicine.  However, a phycologist/ therapist is not a medical doctor and you can be certified much easier.  If all you want to do is counsel individuals then corporations human resource department, a school setting, ect. have these positions. If you want to set up your own counseling you can do this getting certified as a phycologist.  Coursework in phycology, mental health, family planning, Business would be helpful.

You said you wanna be a psychiatrist but what you described is more like a therapist. A psychiatrist is a doctor and you would need 4 years of college to get a bachelors degree, 4 years of medical school, and at least a couple years of internship and residency. A therapist is not a doctor and can’t prescribe meds. I’m not sure what degree is required, but I’m assuming you would need some sort of psychology background to become a licensed therapist. You should figure out exactly what you wanna do, and look up the requirements for it. Good luck.