Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 3 weeks ago

How long of a delay for flashing lights to prevent Epilepsy Seizures ?

I am launching a video. Video would contain flashing light changes. But I want to prevent any viewers from having seizures to the flashing light changes.

So how long of a delay should I make between the color changes to prevent any bad reactions?

• Flukey

Firstly, only about 3% to 5% of people who have epilepsy would be affected.  Epilepsy has many forms, one being photosensitive epilepsy.  That is the type that can have seizures triggered by flashing lights.  For the vast majority of people who have epilepsy, flashing lights will have no effect on them.

In terms of your question, it would differ between individuals.  Some could put up with a certain amount of flashing lights. About 5-30 flashes per second are usually required to trigger seizures.  Your best course of action is to put a warning at the start of your video that it contains flashing lights.

There is no one "magic time".  Any flashing could cause someone issues with seizures.  However, the worst are in the 4-10 per second range.

Its best to make the delays about 40 years apart.