Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 4 weeks ago

Conservatives love to say that the USA isn't a democracy, but doesn't that mean it's not a legitimate country?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • America's actual system of government is a Republic, not simply a Democracy. Although technically it's a Democratic Republic.

• 4 weeks ago

The USA's form of government is a republic, not a pure democracy.  It's says so right in the pledge of allegiance.  "and to the republic for which is stands".

I'm not a conservative, I just happen to know which principles our form of government is based on.  

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I'm liberal, and it's a constitutional republic. There are democratic features, but the majority is not intended to quash minority as in a democracy. A giant flaw is what was warned by George Washington about how political parties can cause corruption and a theft of power from the people as a whole.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It appears you are an ignorant troll.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Well, technically they are right. The US is a constitutional republic or representative republic. In a pure democracy, the voters would vote on every bill put before congress. Instead, based on the constitution we vote for representatives and senators and they vote on those bills.

We also do not vote directly for the president. We vote for a slate of electors in the state where we are registered to vote and the electors actually vote for the president.

• 4 weeks ago

It appears you went full retard. Did it hurt?

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Only if you care about consistency.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

We are a representative republic. It is a form of democracy. And no doesn't make us an illegitimate. country.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

UH - check out Governmental Studies 101 - America is a republic but has a democratic form of government.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I don't really think they know what it really means. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.