Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Which accent should I start using while speaking in English? I am planning to stay in US for few years then Europe. Please read below.?

Which accent should use considering: I have intermediate level fluency in English. I plan on studying for 6 years in the US and then permanently reside in Europe. But People find French accent to be sexy & the British accent to be of smart/rich person. Some people love Irish accent and think it is the best. I know some people will say if why don't you learn American since you will be staying here for 6 years or British since it is used in Europe but do consider that rich americans orthe british people residing in America use british accent. Jamaican americans speak in their own accents which sounds cool. Even many hispanic americans speak in their own accents. So, I am guessing that in america, it doesn't matter as long as I speak fluent English so I feel like if I start using french/irish/british accent permanently, I would get better treatment. On the other hand, If I don't use American accent, people might feel that I am not their own (outsider) so I also feel american accent would be better to fit in. But keep in mind that I would be staying in america just for few years then I would permanently leave for europe. PLEASE RANK ALL THE ACCENTS THAT YOU THINK I SHOULD LEARN FROM "BEST/MOST USEFUL" TO "LEAST USEFUL"

Favorite Answer

Use the Northeast American accent and you will be received by everyone.  It is really no accent at all.

• John P

So much will depend on where you are in Europe or the British Isles. 

My advice is to 'be yourself'.  People will almost certainly pick up that you are not a native speaker.  No matter how fluent you think you are, there will be some expressions of yours which shout 'non-native speaker'. American English is different from British English in some amusing ways in everyday speech.

If your probably false-sounding 'accent' does not fit well with the sort of person you seem to be, then people will laugh at you behind your back.

Be very careful with an 'Irish accent'.  There are differences between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic in accent and forms of everyday speech. If you use the wrong sort in the wrong part of Ireland you could be in big trouble.

Sorry, I do not have time fully to wade through your long spiel in detail. You do seem to have remarkable energy in your quest for the 'perfect' way to speak, but most of that effort will have been in vain.

• Zirp

err.... what is your ethnic background? Are you somehow ashamed of it?

As long as you clearly pronounce the words, speak whatever way feels comfortable