Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

My horse bucked me off and now I'm scared to ride.?

I have a thirteen-year-old morgan horse. I was riding her indoors last Tuesday and she got excited when we started jumping she ending up cantering quite fast and bucked I fell off quickly. It wasn't anything serious but thinking of riding her again makes me quite scared. I have no problem grooming her or leading her inside or outside but I am too scared to get back into the saddle. I love my horse to bits but I am scared to ride her. 

Maybe it was the saddle? Was the saddle not secured well, or loose? If it was loose and hanging she may have thought she had something stuck on her and was trying to get it off? Possibly after one of her jumps? Maybe make sure her saddle is properly affixed and correct size before getting back on her. My friend had a horse buck her off when the saddle she used was too big for her and we were going on a trail ride on their property, and we had to jump the horses we were riding over an irrigation ditch. The horse I was riding was used to jumping, and had a saddle that fit him well, but the saddle my friend used on the horse she was riding was new for her and she was a much younger horse not used to doing much if any jumping, so when she jumped the ditch, the saddle apparently got moved and was irritating her so she began bucking and threw my friend off her. My friend claimed she had used the saddle on her before but this horse had never jumped before, so didn't realize the saddle didn't fit her properly, and believed that she did that since her saddle was not fitted on her right. She strained her back so was why she couldn't ride for a while after falling off (she was lucky that's all her injury was as it could have been much worse), but when her back got better, although she did get back on the horse, it was not until after making sure she had a well-fitted properly sized saddle, and also let others ride her for a while too before she was comfortable getting back on her. She did have a little bit of apprehension though in riding that horse again, which is totally understandable as would be in your situation. My friend is an accomplished jumper/dressage rider, so can't keep her off horses for long in general, and has fallen off horses before since she's been riding all her life and bound to happen if you ride as much as she does, but if a particular horse is dangerous, then can see why you'd not be so excited to get right back on it until confirming the horse is no longer dangerous.

First of all, it's very common to feel the way you do after a fall. Every horse owner, and everyone who rides has been through this experience at some point, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. The trick to getting your confidence back is NOT to jump right back on your horse after a fall. Rather, it's to put yourself and your horse into a situation where you are both safe, and where the temptation for the horse to repeat the behavior is minimized. And that means the next time you go to ride, you don't make the mistakes you made the first time. Don't ride- or jump ALONE- not ever. It's very dangerous to do either one, especially with a horse that you don't trust or that you're scared of. I speak from experience here, because I have a new horse right now that I've only had since the end of July- and while he's been fine so far, I am cautious about riding him when I am alone with no one around. I don't know yet if I can trust him fully- not because he's done anything wrong-he hasn't- but because he's NEW, and it takes time to feel confident and safe on a new horse. It also takes time to regain your confidence and trust in your horse after an incident like this one.

So obviously, you need to have your instructor present the next time you go to get on your horse. Make sure you tell her in advance what happened, so that she's aware that you're dealing with a confidence issue here. And then you need to take your time and start slowly. Stick with what you know, and know well, and are comfortable with the first time back. If that means you don't jump, then so be it. There will be time for jumping again later, when you feel better about what you're doing. There's no law that says you have to jump big fences the first time you ride after a fall- and you need to remember that.

Make sure you do your homework and groundwork before you ride next time. Have a saddler come and check the fit of your tack- ALL of it, not just your saddle. You may want to have your vet out to examine the mare and look for evidence of back pain or even lameness. If there's any possibility that this could have happened because your mare was in estrus at the time of your fall, then you may want to ask your vet about putting her on something like Regumate so that she stays out of heat when you are working with her. And because bucking isn't always a pain response (yes, it can be, but it also is a sign of high spirits) I would encourage you to put your mare on the longe line or free longe her for at least 15 to 20 minutes before you get on her again. Wear your helmet (if there is any chance you hit your head when you fell, then you need to get a NEW helmet, NOT wear the same one you had on when you fell) and make sure you wear appropriate clothing. Dress for the weather. Since you will likely be in a lesson situation, make sure you get to the barn early enough to prepare properly, so that you're not rushed. Rushing creates stress, and stress makes you more likely to make mistakes- plus, it's something that your mare will sense and react negatively to.

This happens to everyone who rides, to some degree or another, sooner or later.

I'd fallen off uncountable numbers of times in 30+ years of riding.  Then one quick little shoulder drop and spin and my ottb got me off...  and for some reaon that fall, after all those years of riding, spooked me big time.

It didn't help that trailriding with my other horse a couple days later the horse went down with me, which completely terrified me.

Since then, I've ridden another 20 plus years, but that time scared me.  It's nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about, it's something to get over.

You might find it easier to restart with another horse, a schoolmaster type who can be trusted with beginners, or even any other calm horse you're not scared to get on.

Then, once you're relaxed in the saddle again, getting on your own horse again will be a lot easier.  This is what I did.

Failing that, you grit your teeth, climb on, and just walk her around an arena.  Don't rush it; just walk a bit until you're relaxed with it.   If you can't relax, do it for a while, get off, and try again tomorrow.  If necessary, you can always get a friend to lead you around until you relax.

When you relax, rejoice, and do a little more the next day. 

Don't trot until you're comfortable walking.  Don't canter till you're comfortable trotting.  And absolutely don't jump till you're comfortable.

It just takes time and resolve.

Good Luck.

• Snezzy

The key to recovering from a fall from a horse is to get back on. When she was a teen my wife rode a TB who tossed her every day, and she stopped counting falls at 200. Her mother quit watching. But she always got back on.

Work with horses, get hurt. Them's the rules. 

You WILL get back on, and you'll be a bit scared, but confidence will return. You'll work on trying to figure out why your Morgan acted up. It could be a physical problem, or a problem with the tack. We have a pony who refuses to move if his saddle is uncomfortable. If we remove the saddle and put it back on again he's fine. We have another fellow who is sometimes scared of things we can't see, and the vet told us, "He's got a cataract in his off eye. Things may sometimes look strange to him, and that's why he shies occasionally."

Want something safe? Watch TV all day and let your body and brain rot.