Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 3 weeks ago

What does a guy mean when he says he likes you but he's not ready for a relationship right now?

I'm seeing this guy casually and we've been doing a lot of relationship stuff together and we're talking a lot. He says he has feelings for me and that he's thought about being in a relationship with me but isn't ready. He said he's not financially stable and he's not 100% ready to commit. But does that mean there's a chance for us? Or does that really just mean he doesn't want a relationship with me? I don't know if I should wait it out or move on.

I don't know why women agonize over what is said rather than just taking a person's actions into account. 

He's telling you he's not ready for a relationship. When you say you're doing 'relationship stuff' I'm guessing you're having sex? Most men aren't going to refuse sex, but if you think having sex will make him fall in love with you eventually, it won't.

If you're "the one," he will move Heaven and Earth to demonstrate how important you are to him. Commitment *to you* doesn't require a financial outlay (does it?) Saying you can't be in an exclusive relationship because he doesn't make a lot of money, but he can afford to date a lot of women? That doesn't make sense, does it?

If he is at an age where he *should* be financially stable, and he still isn't, (and you ARE) consider carefully if this man is relationship material at all.

He's at least being honest about his aptitude for commitment. Take him at his word. If what you want is a committed relationship, move on to someone who has reached that point in his maturity.

It means he isn't ready to make a commitment or take any responsibility for you or your feelings.  He's happy to hang out and have sex or whatever, but he doesn't want you to set any expectations on him.  

Only he knows whether or not that will change in the future.

May mean he likes you but isn't ready for a relationship yet.  Could mean he doesn't particularly like you and he's trying to let you down easily. Could even mean he want more of a FWB thing right now. Could mean other stuff. I'd take him at his word and assume its just what he said it was. However, you still dont know when he'll be ready for a relationship, if ever.  You could simply ask him how long before he thinks he's ready for more but the answer may or may not be legit. I suggest you dno't give up on him completly but if something else comes along, well he may never be more ready - so don't turn someone else away due to him.

It can mean exactly what he said. He isn't ready to commit. he likes not having to worry about someone else and he knows once he is more financially stable he will be better able to focus on the relationship. He's probably willing to wait for you if you are willing to wait for him.

He's got another girl he likes and he's waiting to see what happens with that before comitting.