Is saying the word black racist? ?

I lived by these biracial couple. The is white girl got so pissy but I said they were a lot of blacks that I notice living in the territory as neighbors. Well she took it to be racist. I was only only making small talk and a statement. 

No that’s definitely not racist. Tell her to shut up she’s too analytical 

Another person being offended by a word you used is not indicative of racism.  Racism is a philosophy that one race is superior to another.  Even if you used the n-word, that is not in-and-of itself indicative of racism.  As you have pointed out, context matters as well.  You should not be worried about what other people think.  You know if you are a racist or not.

The word "black" isn't the racism. It's noting that a lot of black people live there, as if that matters, that's racism.

In general, small talk should not be noting the differences between people but the similarities.