Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

Replacing countertop for my landlord. How should I cover my bases?

So just moved into new apartment, kitchen island has a utility tub instead of a sink (held in place w cracked caulk) and the countertop is held onto the island with 2 drywall screws and the faucet. Worried if landlord tries to have his handyman fix this it’ll be slapping a bandaid on instead of replacing it... my girlfriend is a carpenter and told the landlord if he supplies sink she can install it and replace countertop if he takes off a months rent for the labor involved. He agreed and the handyman told me that he would take off the months rent, but should I get something more solid than the text “yes” from the handyman and not the even landlord? Ask for written confirmation or just a text from the landlord himself? Should we put together some sort of contract in case he tries to screw us down the line? 

Also, if I should put together a contract.. how do I even go about doing it? 

Favorite Answer

Get EVERYTHING in writing - and from the landlord, not the handyman. 

Once the sink and counter is installed, get the landlord to approve the installation in writing (and append photos), so you're all clear what's been done, and that he's happy with the work carried out. 

Usually a contract is a good idea but honestly, this time I wouldn't even bother.  If you have found the landlord to be honest and trustworthy to this point, then I'm write him an email detailing everything and ask him to respond if its ok as you spelled it out, and then go ahead with that. A contract might be a bit more safe, but not much, and regardless, a contract is only as good as the people signing it.

You want it in writing.  From the LL.  

Absolutely. Unless the handyman is authorized to make binding business decisions for the landlord (contract holder), then what he says is meaningless.  It's not much different than having the mailman agree.  For me, even if the landlord refuses to take a month's rent off, I'd still look to get written acceptance to change it out anyway if I'm planning on being there for any decent amount of time.  A nicer place is a nicer place and if you have the ability to use your free time to make it better then that's great.  As I said, make sure you get approval to do it though.  Take 'before' pictures as well.  Do everything you can to cover your butt down the road.