I'm embarrassed to say this but I am a 25-year-old woman and don't know what I want career-wise. Advice  ?

I don't have any kids 

Favorite Answer

😁

I was the same. 

So I jumped into any and every entry level field I was interested in.

Customer service, retail, hospitality, manufacturing, caregiving.

And it turns out I loved caregiving. It was the perfect fit. I could do it, have down time to work on other things in between and earn good money to survive.

Perfect set schedule and days off. 

Not saying you should go into any of these. But theyre a great start or you can just try doing the same with any entry level field you want. 

Hook up with suitable mentors who work in careers they love and see if its something youre interested in too.

• Kyle

consider the military.  they have plenty of jobs that aren't all combat or infantry related.  you get paid training and most jobs are only four years long.

health care, logistics, intel / analysts, vehicle maintenance, IT, air traffic control, and others.  plenty of their jobs can find similar careers in the civilian world when your service is over.  

Its not uncommon at all. I’m 22 and still don’t know what I want to do. Some people don’t decide on careers until they are 40+. The beauty of life is you have to ability to change careers if you decide to do something else. See what you like to do/are good at and take it from there. They have personality tests that figure out what jobs will be best for you. Give it a shot.

• April

Most people don't land their dream careers. You step into whatever you need to support yourself. Go to job fairs and see what your options are. There's a lot of places where people can take entry-level positions and move up/make fairly good money.

Don't spend 50k on a bachelor's degree if you have no idea how you'll use it. The option will still be there if you change your mind.

Think about what skills and knowledge you have. Think of what job you could do (what job you're capable of), and choose from the list what you WANT to do. It's very important to like what you do.

Do you remember what you were dreaming of being a kid? Maybe you need to take some short courses to get the required expertise and make your dream come true.

After you get some job on your mind, close your eyes and imagine you doing it... it would be great if you have a happy feeling at that moment.

Go with what you love, a job is not a job if it's something you love doing.

What do you like to do?  I mean what do you enjoy doing in your free time.  Try to find a career doing the sort of stuff you enjoy, for at least a piece of the job.

So you don't know what you want to do with a career--so what?  about 90% of people of all ages don't know that either. You're not alone, and you're not unusual. There's no pressure except that which you are putting on yourself to find a 'career.' You can just have a job--and make a living. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Let the pressure go.  There is no reason to be embarrassed. 

Sometimes we fall into a career we didn't consider at first by whatever job or livelihood we start in--and sometimes we simply work for a living and let other things become more important. Life isn't about 'titles' or job descriptions. It's about being fulfilled at whatever you do whenever you do it. There's no age limit to finding a career, AND there's no age requirement that you have to do this now. Let life take its course and stop searching. All it does is create anxiety about your 'station in life' which is unproductive. If you're constantly worried about things like that you have no room for enjoyment of the moment you're actually IN. 

Lots of people don't know what they want at that age. But its time to be thinking seriously about it.  I wanted my own business and I found myself unemployed at that age with low expenses and my car was already paid off so I knew there would never be a better time to try it. I did well after about a year of figuring out what I was doing. I did not make much more than I would have working for someone else and I did not have insurance but I enjoyed it more.

go talk to a counselor at the employment agency

don't worry about it. I will finish graduation college at the age of 26 or 27 without any work experience in my field. I also don know wtf to do with my life. I just know that I will make it you will too