Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

Is Shotacon Karate good for practical self-defense in the event of a streetfight or a home invasion?

I won't always be able to carry a gun with me everywhere, so I need something that I could utilize any time and any place, and wouldn't have the need to purchase any ammo for it, just my body.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 hours ago

Shotokan is good for "point karate", and very little else.  I would not make Shotokan my primary fighting style for any reason. 

• 2 months ago

How many practitioners of Shotokan Karate do you see in the Octagon? You are better off doing the Angry Monkey. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Tbh more and more criminals are shooting and carrying guns. Yeah hand to hand combat is cool and all, but it's a different world out there today. 

• Bon
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It's Shotokan, not shotocon.

What makes any martial art effective for self-defense is NOT the name or the type, but the instructor and how it is taught.  A name tells you nothing about whether you will be trained adequately for self-defense.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Paul
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

whats good for the goose is good for the gander

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Its worked great for me for over 40 years.

Whether or not it will work for you depends upon how you train and how good your instructor is.

BTW the spelling is shotokan with a k, in japanese they do not use the letter c from what I remember 

mma fighters Lyoto Machida, shotokan as well as several others

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

anything is possible

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.