Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 4 weeks ago

If you go to detox for alcohol, can they take your drivers license away? ?

Well I had a dui over a decade ago... But I drink very heavily... I am just afraid of going to detox for a week and them thinking that i'm unfit to drive from their opinion...

Only if you have a DUI or DWI conviction.   

No, not unless the treatment you're getting was ordered by a court of law.  

You don't lose lose your driving privileges for drinking alcohol, you don't even lose your driving privileges for being addicted to alcohol.  You only lose your driving privileges if you drive with alcohol in your blood.  You're allowed to drink all you want, you're just not allowed to drive with too much of it in your body.

Who is "they"?

"They" meaning the MVD or DMV? No not just for checking in, voluntarily.

Only on a DUI.   Do you Have one? 

If you have some Govt.  clearance, It might be compromised. Read the terms you signed.

Even thou driving is a privilege, the DOT/DMV Must follow written procedure, cannot be arbitrary. Some procedures do not  vary by state   All are subject to the  5th Amendment's guaranteed right of due process. 

Those that say :"they can". well, they Have the power, but, can get butt sued off, too, if they break their own rules. ..

No they Can Not suspend  Just for Having narcolepsy, SD, or diabetic comas  If controlled,. Just if   a  loss -of--consciousness episode occurs And reported by MD  can they choose to  suspend or not. Might choose to revoke if an accident caused by one. SD also includes Petit Mal seizures that aren't loss of consciousness. 

No. They only take it away from driving related issues.

But before you go, ask for Gabapentin. You may not need to go to detox or rehab at all.  You might need it and Baclofen. The combo does wonders if you get the dose right.  I was hooked on xanax, trying to come off I was a total wreck and craved alcohol every waking moment even though I was not a daily drinker.  Dr gave me 400mg gabapentin 4 times a day and 20mg baclofen twice a day and I was better overnight. Have not had a xanax or a drink in 4 and a half years.  It's very possible you don't need inpatient.

• May

They probably "can" but I doubt that they would.

I truly hope you will be able to get and stay sober.  Good Luck.

They take your drivers license when ever you get caught driving drunk. Most people get their second DUI with in 4 months of getting their license back so watch out.

Yes, some states consider alcoholism or drug addiction to be among the medical reasons to revoke a license (normally it's stuff like narcolepsy, epilepsy, blindness, etc.) even if you have never been caught DUI.

• Ron

Of course "they" can

i would ask a lawyer about it