I want a Delorean..?

It has been my childhood dream to own a DeLorean dmc-12 I want one very much everybody tells me not to buy it that it's going to give me lots of problems and lots of headaches but I don't want to listen to them because the car is my life ever since I was a little boy... I'm trying to find one here in Florida but it's difficult and they are rather pricey is there a way to find one that's less expensive?

• Fred
    Favorite Answer

Your friends are right that the Deloreans are not worth the money.  Compared to current cars they are not a good car with plenty of reliability problems and the fact they were the star of the Back To The Future movies has made them a cult vehicle.  You pay a lot just for the fact it is a cult car.  If you think you will be driving everywhere in one then realize parts are getting rarer and they were nothing special with reliability.  It will be a target for car thieves because it is a cult vehicle and likely the insurance will be very expensive.  Basically the car will be a money pit as a lot of European built classic cars are.

Likely for a classic car you take out to car shows if you are feeing rich and show it off it likely would be a great car to own as likely it will be one of those cars that will get worth a lot of money in the years to come but that means more insurance and more likely it will be stolen.

The story of the Delorean Motor Company is very interesting as they were manufactured in Ireland for tax advantages built only for the American market.  John Delorean produced a car with a stainless steel body that would never rust and they were never painted.  If you find a painted one then a previous owner painted it and that lowers the value.  John Delorean got in financial troubles and in a FBI sting was caught in a hotel room with a case of drugs he was supposedly trying to sell, to help keep his company from going bankrupt.  He actually managed to win the case in court but his company was finished and the car company folded.

As a daily driver it is a bad idea as they were unreliable cars but maybe as an investment over a long period its uniqueness will make it a good investment.  There are Delorean car clubs and other Delorean information on the internet so maybe start there.  If you cannot afford to keep the Delorean as a car only taken out to club events then you should not buy one.  We all would love things we really cant afford but most of us are realistic and keep it just a dream.

Is there a magic place that sells collector vehicles for half-price or less? 

I think you can answer that question yourself. 

NO. COLLECTOR'S CARS ARE ALWAYS. EXPENSIVE. 

• Ron

If you want one you will pay the price. If you don't want one form Florida, shop around then pay for shipping

• Ian K

If you don't have $40,000 upfront and a couple grand a year in upkeep, you won't be able to play in this game.

Source(s): Simple as that.
  • Jay P

Used DeLorean's that are anywhere close to decent shape will always command a higher resale value simply because there are not that many of them around to begin with and there are enough buyers out there looking for them.