Why is drinking in public illegal ?

I live in Canada where booze and cannabis is legal. I can smoke a joint walking down the street no problem, but I'd get a fine if I drank a beer. What the hey?

Good answer Rick.

• Kathy

It depends on the laws of your town.

In my country if you barricade the door, you can safely drink under the bed.

Americans have this idea then if I hide the wrongdoings that they're doing from the world that they'll go away all by themselves. But it's a plain fact if you do your wrongdoings in public. You will have far less wrongdoings. Because peer pressure will tell you what's acceptable to the crowd and what's not acceptable to the crowd. 

I believe that's a legacy of prohibition. While the legalization of weed is progressivism and encompasses the idea that weed is basically the same as a cigarette, which is why they're ok with smoking it in the streets

Source(s): Edit: thanks Cheech :)

Everything's legal if you don't get caught.

In the US, you can't even drink a beer on the front patio of an apt complex. As for a house, not so sure. But the two houses I've lived in weren't heavily patrolled by police.