Explain tax deductions to me like I'm 5? ?

So I am a new 1099 worker in VA. I am trying to figure out how tax deductions work but no matter how much I google it, I don't get it. Explain it to me like I'm 5 please. So let's say I spend $500 on a new shear set for work, and claim that on my taxes, do I owe $500 less when it's time to pay or what? 

Deductions reduce your INCOME, not your tax.  

• Shay

Tax deductions reduce your taxable income.

If your total income for the year is $75,000 but you have allowable deductions that total $40,000 for the year - then your taxable income is only $35,000 for the year.

So - you do not owe $40,000 less in taxes - you are just not taxed for that $40,000.  

When you are starting a new business or working as a 1099 contract worker - it might be a good idea to have a professional do your taxes for the first one or two years while you learn a little more about how it all works.

Or find a web based tax service that has easy to understand instructions to help you do your own taxes.

Good luck.  

• RICK

No, your taxable income is reduced by the amount of depreciation you are allowed to deduct.  Let's say your $500 shear set has a usful life expectancy of 5 years, you would be able to deduct $100 for 5 years in a row. So if you made $12,000 that one item would reduce your taxable income to $11,900

• Amy

You count $500 less income from your business.

For example, if you got paid $700 but your expenses were $500, then your business income is only $200. You only owe tax on that $200.

Tax rates vary based on your total income. A $500 deduction probably reduces the tax you owe by $50 or $60, but it could be more.

No.

First, if you buy something that is expected to last more than a year, then it is extremely to claim it all at one time.  You must claim only a small part each year.  Since I am explaining like you are 5, I'm going to say you would go to jail if you tried to claim it all at once.  (If I was explaining it like you were an adult, I would say that you probably won't go to jail, but you would be fined a lot of money.)

Second, if you claim $500, you do not owe $500 less.  You owe tax on $500 less of income.  For example, if you made $9000 and claim $500, then the tax you owe is what you would have owed if you made $8500.

• If you count as self-employed, you're taxed on your profits, not your income.  Profits are what you get paid, less expenses and less overheads.  Tools count as expenses.  Let's suppose you get paid $35,000 and you have expenses and overheads of $1,000, you get taxed on $34,000.  Book a session with an accountant.  His advice on what you can claim as expenses and overheads should save you more tax than his fee.

Deductions are used when calculating the difference between your GROSS income and your TAXABLE income.

So, if you had, say, a total income of $50,000, and you deducted that set, then that would reduce your TAXABLE income by $500.

You USED to have a starting deduction of $4,000, but the GOP made that go away, which is one way they actually INCREASED taxes on working people.