How to renew registration without title?

Very stupid question for some, but I got my car inspected last week and they kept my current registration after passing my car, which doesn’t technically expire until October 1. I didn’t know they could keep your registration card after inspecting your car if it was still current. I’ve also financed my car through my bank so I don’t have the title to be able to get the title number so I can renew the registration online. I’ve been technically driving my car without a registration since, which seems like a weird hole in the process.

What am I supposed to do from here with just my inspection sheet now?

• Bill

The State Inspection Station was not suppose to keep your Registration card.  Call them and see if they still have it.  If not you can go on the DMV website and you should be able to renew online.  You will need the VIN# which is found on the vehicle's dash.   Good Luck

I've never had to show a title to get a new tag.  They can look you up by name. Or you can take the card they send every year by mail.

• May

In my U.S. state a title is not required to simply renew registration (Plates).

Have you asked the inspection station to return your certificate of registration?

When you do for emission testing you take the card that the DMV sends you. That has nothing to do with the title you have. 

Go back to the inspection station and retrieve your registration card.

If you've lost that, your first step should be to examine your state DMV website carefully to see if the "Obtain Duplicate Registration" option lets you identify your registration by tag (license plate) number or VIN or even by registrant's name.  That might provide you a way out of this dilemma.

If it insists that you have to have the title number, you can either call your bank to obtain it, or look at your purchase and loan origination paperwork to find it.  If you've misplaced or thrown that away, it might be on your monthly loan statement from the bank, or on the bank's electronic payment website.  If you've tossed all statements and signed up for automatic withdrawals so you never visit a website, then you've sorta screwed yourself into having to visit the bank and work this all out with them

As a final option - if your state authorizes private "courier" companies to carry out routine DMV transactions overnight (essentially turning them into extension offices of the DMV which only handle paperwork, not driver testing etc) then you might visit one of them and recover your title number from their database, which these days is linked directly to DMV's database.

Good luck.