Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 weeks ago

Why is there more resistance to referring to women as “female” than there is to referring to men as “male”?

“Women” scientists is improper. It’s “female” scientists.

“Men” scientists is improper. It’s “male” scientists.

Update:

Foofa:

I’m not referring to people using “female” when “women” is the proper word to use.

I’m referring to using “female” as an adjective, not a noun.

Update 2:

Mary:

There are reasons to discuss subsets of groups. For example: “Female scientists often face sexism in the workplace.”

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

In my experience, people use "female" and "male" like that all the time, with no resistance.

• 4 weeks ago

"Why is there more resistance to referring to women as “female” than there is to referring to men as “male”?"

Probably because women get offended much easier than men do, and somewhere, somehow, the word female was used as a pejorative and has become tainted.  Just like "African Americans" (who many not even be African at all), or blacks, or colored people, or people of color .... we don't even know what to call them anymore.  Yet we have "White men" disparaged daily, even on mainstream media, without white men actually caring to change that.  There's the difference.  It's a thicker skin, and less concern about what others think.  And wouldn't you know it, when it doesn't bother the recipient, the slur ends up fading out of existence anyway.  

The other minor detail which may become very important in the future is the idea of making it illegal, or a "hate crime" to misgender a person, as has occurred in Canada.  In this case, one would be within the law by "sexing" a person as male or female and not running afoul of the gender laws by using man or women. As we all know, sex is physical and genetic, and there are only two of them ... male and female.  My expectation is that those two terms will become even more commonly used in the future when people identify others by sex only and simply toss out the gender identity nonsense of today.

• amy
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

anyone who has a phd in science will say sex=gender. Therefore woman scientist means the exact same thing as female scientist. So it wont matter which one you use. Its psychology that says sex and gender are different however gender is still dictated by sex. The rest is insane feminst theory that is actually more like a hypothesis then a theory unlike what science and psychology says. Gender studies in social science tick as many boxes in the scientific method as pseudoscience hence scientists and psychologists dont care for it.

Edit: also any psychologist that subscribes to feminism should be ashamed of themselves. They know it takes someone mentally stunted as a teenager to buy into ideologies.

Edit: as someone whos dealt with a scientific lab men tend to be more welcoming and helpful to women. In my experience. Its the old fat ugly women that have a problem with other women. In my experience.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

@Mary: Yes, because removing words from language that provide information and make things clearer is always the best way to handle things. Moron. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

OK, from now on we'll call you cvnts and broads. is that better ??

• 4 weeks ago

Or, you know, you could just say "scientists". 

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If that's true it's probably because the term "females" has been turned into an online cudgel by the incel faction. But for the most part people use these words as the niche garbage on Reddit and 4Chan isn't all that mainstream.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.