Question about Buffy The Vampire Slayer?

In 'Normal Again' Buffy tells Willow her parents put her in a clinic after she told them about vampires. Yet it appears as though Joyce Summers learns about vampires for the 1st time in 'Becoming Part Two'. Is this a continuity error?

Is it possible she was NEVER in a clinic and even that was an invention of the demon? Or did Joyce (perhaps without her husband's influence) change her mind in the time which passed? Any other theories?

Or is it because she was in the clinic the whole time?

Favorite Answer

"Is this a continuity error?"

I don't think so.  I think you're being too literal.  Buffy TOLD her parents about vampires in the wake of the incident which is meant to reference the movie without being too direct, and they put her in a mental clinic because they thought she made it up.  The general public in BtVS never believes in vampires and demons and magic.  Even though a giant damn SNAKE attacks the school at one point during graduation, and that is an event where there would be video cameras.  

I haven't seen Buffy in ages, but IIRC, that was the hostage episode in the school.  I can't recall if she actually walks out of that believing in Vampires yet.  I feel like it isn't until Buffy finally comes clean to her about being a slayer that Joyce really accepted Vampires.  But like I said, it's been awhile.

Either way, I think the appropriate way to interpret the comment to Willow is that the parents simply didn't believe and thought their daughter was making it up to excuse her destroying a homecoming or prom or whatever it was.