Can you get in trouble for accidentally filing a false police report?  ?

Basically I reported something as stolen and later found it and I had this whole talk with the cops about it and now I’m worried I could get in trouble. Wasn’t malicious at all I was just drunk and forgot where I put the item tbh

4 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago

    It is IMPOSSIBLE to accidentally file a false report. You can file a report you believe to be true, and later discover it is not true.

    Filing a false report means you KNOW it is false when you file it.

    As a general rule, if you genuinely believed the item was stolen when you filed the report, and you report locating the item soon after discovery, that will be the end if the issue. If you make multiple erroneous reports, that becomes a problem.

  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    There is no penalty for making a mistake. Simply call the department explain what happened. 

  • 4 weeks ago

    If you contact the police, preferably those you gave the report to and explain what you did I am sure they will be grateful and that will be the end of it.

    If you don't tell them and they find out you may well be in trouble.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Yes you can. It is YOUR responsibility to provide ACCURATE information in such a report, and filing one while drunk is really frakking STUPID.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.