Invalid will ? ?

My grandfather had a will which my parents were mention that if anything happen to him they would get his home after my grandmother passed . My grandmother passed( did not have a will)  but before she passed she put her home in my mother’s name only ( not my father ) My mom passed away 2012 and didn’t have a will . My father just recently passed away and had a will leaving me with everything.( he had gave my brother inheritance while he was living ) So my question is can I go all the way back to my grandfather ‘s will to get the house in my name or did his will become invalid since my grandmother put my mom name on the deed ? 

• Foofa

If the deed was in your mother's name and she was married to your father at the time of her death the home probably went to your dad. Your father then was supposed to update the deed so his name was on it. If his will then leaves the house to you you'd be the one who now has to update the deed (and probably pay some kind of inheritance tax if this house wasn't put into a trust). Real estate is passed down through families all the time and I'm not sure why you think something's wrong here. Even if none of the "owners" ever update the deed you could still do that. If you're still confused I suggest you talk to a real estate attorney. 

You'll definitely want to contact an attorney, but from what the timeline sounds like they house would be yours unless there's pieces missing or other stipulations you didn't mention. Grandfather left his estate to grandmother, with a will stating when she passes away, your parents receive the home. Grandma changed the deed of the home to your mom's name then passed away, leaving the house to mom, mom passed away without a will which usually automatically makes the next of kin (spouse) recipient of the estate. So, when your dad passed away, he would have had the home (unless he signed it over to someone else). Dad has left everything to you, so you would have the house. 

From your question, everyone concerned is deceased, correct?

You need to move QUICKLY on this one.

Go directly to your county to see whose name is on the tax rolls for this property.  Get busy and pay up all taxes on the property so it is not sold by your county for taxes.

If the tax bill goes out and no one gets it or pays it, the property will default for taxes owed.  Move fast to stop this.

Then, you may need to hire a lawyer to find the deed to this property and get your name put on it.  Write out all the details and be able to provide death certificates for the previous owners as well as your father's will.

Believe me, this property can slip away out of your hands if the taxes are delinquent on it and there is no clear owner.

you could try talking to a lawyer about it

No, its yours. see a lawyer

• Kieth

Everything aligns in succession, grandpa gave it to your mother, when she died, everything became your father's property. His property is now yours. If you get a will and probate attorney, it can all be straightened out if you have any problems.

• g

Without a will stating otherwise. it's commonly held that the surviving spouse inherits everything outright. Understand too that your brother can still contest your father's will, if he's also a legitimate heir. You need to speak with an attorney and your father's will probated through the court.

• Rick

lawyer time, need to trace the ownership.