Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

What would you do to deal with racist people out in public (read details)?

Say if you were at the beach and an older couple in their 50's sit near you but they just stand over you staring. Well, the husband stands over me and the wife in a lounge chair just sat giving me disgusting looks, nonstop looking. I am half black and so are my children. Every time I moved a little, they'd reach to protect their stuff while I was just adjusting my weight from sitting to long to get comfortable. 

I didn't move but it ruined my day at the beach. I'm a woman and I was there with my 2 children and the guy looked like he could get hostile. There were no words exchanged, they just decided to act like this to me. It ruin my day when it was supposed to be a happy day with my family. 

what would you do?

Thank you, Neve, Pearl, and the anonymous person who helped me. Sometimes when I go through these things, It's nice to receive the kindness of understanding. 

Favorite Answer

I would have gotten up and went to lean against their car.

No, I think I would have moved. It's easy to say because I wasn't in your position. One thing for sure is that I would have kept shifting so they, in turn, had to keep protecting their belongings.

Who knows what their problem was. They could have been two whack jobs who just like to intimidate others. A woman with her children to protect is an easy target.

• Foofa

What I wouldn't do is assume this had anything to do with race. Many, many people just don't like kids. Turning every awkward occurrence in life in a racist incident diminishes the impact of the truly bad things that are actually racist happenings. This just sounds like a couple of sticks-up-the-butt who worried that your kids would disturb their stuff. 

Ignore them. Let them have the bad karma. And a bad day at the beach. Stare back.

i wouldve moved and went somewhere else

I would think about the real victims of racism that were shot, beaten, lynched, etc....

• g

I'm not sure what would be necessary here. It may have had nothing whatsoever to do with race.