Need help please. My wall has become a nightmare after removing the wallpaper. ?

We are In the middle renovating our kitchen. So whilst we were removing the wallpaper, we noticed that the white skim was coming off with it. Not only that, but the white skim that was remaining on the wall could be scrapped off with very little effort. We also encountered some parts that were a lot harder to scrap off, and in these parts the brown thing underneath was coming off in chunks and creating big gaps and unevenness in the wall. Underneath the brown thing are concrete blocks. I really don’t know what to do. Do I have to take it back to concrete block and then put plaster boards on top and skim over that? Or is there an easier solution for this?

I need to know WHY did the wallpaper have to come off?   If the only reason is because you wanted a change then is it paper or vinyl.  The paper wall paper you can tear easily. The vinyl wall paper is a plastic so is not going to rip. Vinyl used to be hung in kitchens and bathrooms because those walls would be washed more often than anywhere else in the house. So they were put down with vinyl wallpaper glue that was brushed onto the vinyl and then the vinyl paper was laid on the wall. It is really glued on.

With newer papers there is a thin vinyl coating on the paper to make resistant to a bit of wet wiping without it going through and dissolving the water based glue that was holding on the paper wallpaper.

.Sorry, I am talking above your knowledge

The best thing for you to do is take the photograph to a builder supply store and ask for advice.  I realize, especially now, everyone is looking for a job. so will be less willing to give you DIY advice.

Me, I don't care. An old phart who was the painter/finisher.

I Wish I had a whole wall picture.

This is a bit out of my area of expertise and era.

Every house we built was stick built with gypsum board (drywall)

Houses were being done with lath & plaster still, but the flip over was happening. Interior plastering was going the way of the Dodo bird.

Some people ONLY WANTED PLASTER. Gypsum board was that new.  I only found out about plaster in houses from the 40's . & one done in '68.  Those guys were still available and had the tools. So got to see house tear downs which would be plaster.

As far as I can ascertain. the houses were stick built(in my area) and then lath 1/8" thick 1" wide strips were then nailed to the studs at a 45 degree angle and all the interior walls were covered with these sticks that are spaced apart by 1/4-1/2" gaps.  Then chicken wire was nailed up onto the studs over the lath. so it is smooth.  Now mortar(or cement) is troweled on all the wall wires. Ceiling and walls...about 1/2" thick. So I imagine a bunch of guys doing this job...as it is time sensitive(drying time)  I DON'T KNOW.  Just guessing how it went.  [Really no different than plastering outside a house.aka stucco boxes] is what they called that group of homes. After the wall has set, meaning the mortar is sticking up there then the same guys go in and apply the white plaster to the grey topping cement. Ergo, a finished wall after they sand out some of their swirl marks in the white plaster.

It looks like you have dug down to the topping cement/mortar grey coat.  This does not have to be pretty because the white plaster coat about another 1/2" goes on top to hide it.

That white plaster is what is made smooth.

Because it is not mortar cement of the same color , it seems this area has been repaired before.

Or the cement is falling apart.

What I would do is get rid of  stuff on the wall now.  So goggles on and 2 16oz  hammers and make like an AC/DC DRUMMER just to break the topping cement off without breaking the blocks.  You will need a cold chisel to make the wall DEAD smooth.  It is going to be a mess for awhile but you can do it in parts.

Plaster board comes with or without insulation. Go for the insulated stuff.  It protects against heat too. 

Check YouTube on how to lay gypsum board.   I am thinking I would use an adhesive and glue it to the cinder block.  Then there are pamphlets on how to hang plasterboard and finish it at your builder's supply.  You can figure it out.

• Barry

I think your dry lining plan is the sensible solution. There are many tutorials on the 'net. Scrape off the old plaster. Either wear a mask or wet it with a trigger spray first to suppress the dust. Fix battens carefully using a spirit level and packing. You can fix the plasterboard to the battens with a high grab adhesive. 8' boards trimmed should reach the ceiling unless you live in a Victorian property! Use sticky joint tape. Skin with 'board finish' plaster.Fit new mdf skirting with 'no more nails' solvent free. Fix Gyproc cove to the ceiling joint with either coving adhesive or 'no more nails'. Use a coving mitre tool, see link. Don't rush the job. Take your time and you will have a good surface to decorate.