Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

If my tenant's dog damages the neighbor's fence, who is responsible?

I have a tenant whose dog has damaged the fence and has entered the neighbor's yard. The neighbor has contacted me about the issue and I've tried to address it with my tenant but they refuse to reply to texts and to answer the phone or door. I'm not sure what I can do. I've tried to resolve it for a while now but they refuse to talk to me. The neighbor told me that me and my home owners insurance are responsible for the actions of my tenant, but I'm confused on the situation. Any advice? 

You would only be responsible if it was the fence on the property line separating your two properties.  If it's entirely on the other person's property and the dog entered that property from the back or front, then the tenant is responsible, not you.  

However, if the dog crossed the property line because you didn't have a fence to separate the properties than it's both you and the other property owner's responsibility.  

If you've ever noticed two stores right next to each other but their parking lots are separate so that you have to leave one parking lot and go onto a public road and then enter the adjoining parking lot, it's for this reason...no liability.

That being said, if it was a one time incident, even the biggest dog could not do that much damage to a fence.  It will probably be cheap to fix.  If it was a constant thing that both owners should not have waited this long.

What Slumlord said...

The tenant is responsible but if they dont pay, then you become responsible.  You need to pay to have it fixed and then get the money from your tenant. If they won't pay, then I'd go ahead and evict them for nonpayment of repair costs.

• Barry

Repair the fence and deduct the cost from your tenant's deposit.

Source(s): UK landlord
  • R P

Ultimately you are responsible to repair the fence since you own the property.

It is up to you to get reimbursed from your tenant.

Yes, you are responsible if your tenant won't take the responsibility. The neighbors can sue you AND the tenant. You need to call the Animal Control officer in your area to have the dog either confiscated or legally restrained--because if you can't control your tenant, you will end up in court with your neighbors. Get the fence fixed--and get that tenant disciplined in some legal way. 

Yes you are responsible for the damages. File a claim through your insurance or pay it out of pocket. If you do the later then make sure you get several bids for it. 

You also take pictures and send a certified letter with them to your tenants. Tell them they are responsible for the costs and to make sure the dog is kept secure. If they do not respond send another and then look into what your options are for eviction. 

You also should be speaking to a lawyer to make sure everything is done correctly. 

You are responsible for making the neighbor whole. The tenant will have to answer to you. Proper documentation will enable you to withhold damages from security deposit. If that will be insufficient, you will have to seek redress through the courts for the damage.

Homeowner's insurance doesn't cover rental properties, so that's out.  It only covers owner-occupied properties.

If you rent out a home and you don't live there, and you only have homeowner's insurance, then it doesn't cover anything; it's like not having insurance at all.  Landlord's need a different type of insurance.

• Marty

You're ultimately responsible.  You could send them a registered letter telling them to pay the damage or you'll Pay for the damage and take it from the security deposit.