Which way would you pronounce?

Which way would you pronounce the name Anastasia?  a-nuh-STAY-zhuh or a-nuh-STAY-zee-uh. Also do you like the name? Let me know?

• Jill

The first way. I do like that name. 

I dont know...but we used to joke with an old friend Ernie, that his full name was Ernesthesia... Ern-est-tease-e-ya... So, I guess I'll go with "a-nuh-STAY-zee-uh"

Hope that helps !

• Prince

I pronounce Anastasia as Ah nah stah see ah. 

A-nuh-STAY-zhuh but I’m American. And I love the name 

In Russian it's correctly stressed on the second last syllable - Anna-stah-SEE-yah.

But that's unnatural for non-Russian speakers, and most people say "Anna-STAY-zee-yah" or sometimes "Anna-STAH-zee-yah".

• John P

'Anna-STAY-zee-uh' is what I hear in Britain.  The Russian pronunciation would be 'Anna-stah-SEE-ah'.

I presume you know that Anastasia was the name of one of the daughters of Tsar Nicholas of Russia. It was said that, when the family was murdered by communists in1918, Anastasia survived, and eventually lived to a ripe old age (in the USA?). 

There is no evidence that the woman who claimed to be Anastasia was actually Anastasia, though she certainly knew a lot about the inner workings of the imperial court in St Petersburg.  I think that the name she called herself in later years was Anna Anderson. DNA tests after her death proved her lack of connection with the former Russian imperial family.

Edward is silly in saying 'like how her name is pronounced' when you, and later others, have offered several versions.

• edward

Like as in Grand Duchess Anastasia?  Exactly that way.  Whenever i see that name i think Romanov.  And i say it like how her name is pronounced

Either an-nuh-stay-shuh or an-nuh-stah-see-uh

• Embery

Ann-uh- STAH-zhua.

The second pronunciation (ia) the first pronunciation sounds like anesthesia.....so I would put an emphasis on the ia