Which way would you pronounce?

Which way would you pronounce the name Anastasia?  a-nuh-STAY-zhuh or a-nuh-STAY-zee-uh. Also do you like the name? Let me know?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Jill
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The first way. I do like that name. 

• 4 weeks ago

I dont know...but we used to joke with an old friend Ernie, that his full name was Ernesthesia... Ern-est-tease-e-ya... So, I guess I'll go with "a-nuh-STAY-zee-uh"

Hope that helps !

• Prince
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

I pronounce Anastasia as Ah nah stah see ah. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

A-nuh-STAY-zhuh but I’m American. And I love the name 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

In Russian it's correctly stressed on the second last syllable - Anna-stah-SEE-yah.

But that's unnatural for non-Russian speakers, and most people say "Anna-STAY-zee-yah" or sometimes "Anna-STAH-zee-yah".

• John P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

'Anna-STAY-zee-uh' is what I hear in Britain.  The Russian pronunciation would be 'Anna-stah-SEE-ah'.

I presume you know that Anastasia was the name of one of the daughters of Tsar Nicholas of Russia. It was said that, when the family was murdered by communists in1918, Anastasia survived, and eventually lived to a ripe old age (in the USA?). 

There is no evidence that the woman who claimed to be Anastasia was actually Anastasia, though she certainly knew a lot about the inner workings of the imperial court in St Petersburg.  I think that the name she called herself in later years was Anna Anderson. DNA tests after her death proved her lack of connection with the former Russian imperial family.

Edward is silly in saying 'like how her name is pronounced' when you, and later others, have offered several versions.

• edward
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Like as in Grand Duchess Anastasia?  Exactly that way.  Whenever i see that name i think Romanov.  And i say it like how her name is pronounced

• 4 weeks ago

Either an-nuh-stay-shuh or an-nuh-stah-see-uh

• Embery
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Ann-uh- STAH-zhua.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The second pronunciation (ia) the first pronunciation sounds like anesthesia.....so I would put an emphasis on the ia

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.