Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 month ago

Can teachers take points off an assignment because of the file size ? ?

My teacher has been taking points off for every page i’ve submitted because it pops up on her Mac screen “too big to read “ which causes her to read side to side but I reduce the file sizes for her all the time. I was just wondering if she can do that? But I also understand she is the teacher after all.  It’s just annoying because of the points she takes off everytime. It causes my grades to drop in her class. 

Also I would appreciate if anyone knows the best way to reduce a file size as I might not be doing it right, thank you. 

Reducing file size would depend on the file type, how you produce it, and the device type your are using to produce it (PC, Mac, phone, tablet, etc). A quick google search should get you your answer. 

• John P

What sort if size is 'too big' for your teacher's Mac? Documents in Word in Windows tend to start around 25kb, and a really large doc of many pages with many revisions etc is seldom over 200kb.

Ask your teacher what is her max size - that would seem to be really fundamental.

I have just looked at two big Word docs of mine.   One has 38 pages and is 150 kb, the other is 60 pages and is 400kb - less than half a Mb.  Both have had many, many revisions over the years, which does increase the size.

Are you including image files - photos, scans etc?  They can indeed be large, maybe from 2 Mb to 10 Mb or more.  

Make a copy file of each intended image file (in case you mess up, then you still have the original), find some basic image software in your computer, and experiment with 'Resizing' to get your image files down bellow 1Mb, maybe even as small as 500kb. Once you have found a suitable procedure you can do it every time you need it.

If this has happened more than once, it's your own fault.

No, I don't know how to reduce your file size, so why don't you ask your teacher - at least it'll show her you're trying to put things right.

i would ask your principal about it

Yes she can do that..  Especially if the instructions for assignments is to limit the file size