How to rid this 15lb opossum sleeping on my roof, on a vent?  Want it gone.?

I live on a golf course and can't use my 410.  while its sleeping, how could i startle it and capture it?  The animal control is off on weekends.  Its sleeping right now.

live trap with food in it

Like you, the 410 would be my deterrent of choice.  But start with the garden hose.  That will get his attention but he will try to fool you by playing dead.  Be persistent and keep the spray going until it moves.  This may or not change his mind about coming back.  

I recommend deploying an electric fence around the perimeter of your yard to dissuade climbing animals from trespassing.   You don't have to run it all the time.  When I notice racoons or a possum wandering around in my yard at night, I put the battery pack in the unit and after they touch the wire a couple times they go somewhere else and I take the battery pack back out.  

get a bigger, tougher opossum to go up there and kick its rear end

• Edwena

He is thinking about climbing down that nice hole.  Which means he will get stuck and die inside your vent pipe.   Horrible stink and plug up the vent line.  So, run the possum off and put some screen wire over the vent to keep the critters out.  All you have to do is appear on the roof, the possum will play dead and not move.  Walk over and tell the possum to get off of your roof. Get off the roof and come back in an hour.  The possum should be gone.  

• Barry

Play a garden hose on it.