I got fired after 2 months. How do I explain how I got fired for my next interview?

I had a graphic design job at a sign shop. It was my first professional job straight out of college. It was extremely fast paced and it was hard for me to keep up. (I would have 30 orders in my Design List to complete, and it was like that since the day I started). My boss told me that today was my last day and that he needs someone who has years of experience because I’m not grasping on as fast as I should. He also said it wasn’t as entry level as he expected and will hire someone with years of experience under their belt. But yet no one was there to train me, I just kinda jumped in and gave my best effort. The only feedback I’ve received before then was vague and that I’ve improved.

But also looking back at my boss didn’t treat me nice. He pushed me around, embarrassed me in front of other employees, and didn’t want to pay me for deliveries after the shop closed. He always told me everything I learned in design school was wrong and that I should watch YouTube tutorials on how to design/use Adobe (he claims he’s a self taught designer and thinks he knows everything about it but I always kept my mouth shut). He never valued my time. He also said that I need to be able to lift 50lbs because that’s part of the job, but it was never brought up during the interview (I’m small and weigh 100lbs so it’s a challenge for me). He obviously saw how small I am so I don’t understand why he didn’t have me pick anything up during the interview. So yes he was nearly toxic. 

Also, I always liked to give clients the nicest design possible. Most of them loved my work. But my boss wanted designs that were in and sent out within 15-20 minutes. I was more focused on quality while he was more so focused on quantity. 

Be honest and true to  yourself. Everyone deserves a second chance 

• Jane

Firstly, you are certainly not alone in having been mistreated by an employer, especially as a college leaver- the company is totally at fault, you have nothing to be ashamed of. Time now to focus on your ambitions and move on.

The most important things for you to do now are 

1. Reflect on the experience and find a few learning points for your next steps eg. you are hard-working and always give your best, quality of design and customer relations are important to you, you want to maintain this while learning to deliver more quickly. 2.Research companies you want to work for, and design your resume to appeal specifically to their business needs.  

Deciding whether to put the job on your resume depends on if you can trust the employer to give you a good reference, as most future employers will expect a reference from your last job. Ask your employer about this- you have a right to see any reference given, or they may decide to give a basic reference i.e. dates of employment. 

I think that this experience has taught you a lot as a new grad to this sector. You could present this on your resume as a temporary job and design your presentation as a new grad with some experience, showcasing and linking to your work so far.

Are you using any social media platforms to extend your reach?

You do not have to even mention the job. But if you do, it's never a good idea to say anything remotely negative about your former boss.  They will attribute the problem to you.

After reading your story, even if it was your first job, I wouldn't put it down on your resume. You'll be taking a gamble that the professional experience you had won't be uncovered as you apply for your next job in the same field however. It's a gamble worth taking as you continue to search for a better company to work for. We all had to go through this. Finding the right company that appreciates your talents is like finding the right mate!

Actually, this is nothing to be embarrassed about.  You were hired in at a job that was really too much for your qualifications--and the boss expected more than you could deliver. That's not very unusual in some fields--so just say that--that the job was far more complex and fast-paced than your experience warranted and that you were let go in favor of someone who had more experience and a higher level of qualifications. Any new employer will certainly understand that. 

Go ahead and put this on your resume--and say exactly what I wrote above. It really will not count against you as you will be looking for something more entry-level next time. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.

Step # 1:  Separate your feeling about being let go from your approach to your next job.

Step # 2:  If you feel you can, call your ex-boss and ASK if he will give you any kind of positive recommendation.

What you tell future prospective employers is that the owner/manager determined they needed someone with more experience.  That's it.  It won't help you to complain about the boss or tell others that you were overwhelmed by the workload.  Just say they opened an entry-level job and hired you right out of school but soon realized they needed someone with a lot more experience and decide to replace you.  

• Amy

When asked why you were fired, say what you said in the middle of your first paragraph here: the job needed someone with more experience and shouldn't have been advertised as entry-level.

Do not say nasty things about your former boss. No one who hears you talk like this will want to be your boss.

Do NOT  complain about your boss.  Just say it wasn't a good fit, the pacing was too fast for your experience level and specific training wasn't available for aspects of the job that were new to you. 

A few things you may want to consider:

1. In your next interview(s), don't say anything derogatory about your previous boss.

2. If you can obtain some positive reviews from prior clients, do so, and provide those at your interviews.

3. Be honest.  Simply (briefly) state what you have said here (without saying anything bad about the previous job).

4. Say what you learned from the previous job experience.

5. Try to apply for positions that are truly entry level.

Don't explain, whenever I've been sacked or "fired" I've gone to a temp agency for a while, they don't care what happened in your previous job and even if their paperwork asks they don't check. I used them until I could find something permanent, I've been sacked a few times and still got jobs afterwards, everyone deserves chances but don't be trying to go for something great just after you got the bullet, work back up again.