Erik asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 month ago

What kinds of jobs can I get with a BS in biology?

Hi,

I'm currently a junior, working on a BS in biology. I'm going to talk to my advisor on this, and was wondering what types of jobs I could get with a BS in bio?

Health inspector, for food establishments.  Animal food inspector for FDA

Biology can be applied to nearly anything, even things you wouldn't expect such as mass transit or urban development; basically, just ask yourself HOW you want to apply it, and there will be a way.

• W

You will need further education. I recommend genetic engineering, plant science or medicine. 

• garry

as a bioligst , you can work also in education ,  medicine , hospitals even zoo . or writing books .but you would get a better job with your masters  rather than bachelor of science .

bullshiit! no really? bullshiit!

best job of all you get to study biology!

you gottem rich parents?

otherwise...

PIZZA DELIVERY!

or how abouta paper route?

I took welding, wood working, metal working, typing, and a couple others along with the standard college level classes in high school then tech school theeen university and science.

so you need to consider what you want to do to support yourself then look at your advanced career plans, a lot of people become physcians.

a "job" in your "field"? those criteria YOU set. Dude that be YOUR CAREER. thsts your job not someone elses. you set the rules in bioligy not jane.

I majored in mathemstics but I also study fish and wildlife.

Generally speaking, in Biology, a BS will get you jobs that pay roughly as much as a high school diploma will get you in other fields. It's lab monkey work for the most part - performing simple assays, cleaning, etc. With time and experience, and if you plan well, you can move up into some decent paying jobs with some real responsibility, but you'll never be the boss or making the important decisions. For that, you'll need a more advanced degree. PhD is preferable.

• MARK

I can give you this short answer or a much longer one. A much longer one would include every job requiring a background in biology. That would be a very long list and it would not be comprehensive because I do not know of every such job.

Also if you are studying biology in higher education and are a junior, which I believe means you are in the third year of a four-year degree, you should be competent to do research to find the answer yourself. Do US universities not have careers advice and guidance services?

You could also do a job that does not require you to have a background in biology. About 40% of graduates take jobs in fields unrelated to the subject of their degree. This is because many jobs simply require a graduate but not a graduate in a specific field. Science graduates are often highly favoured and for at least two reasons. First, they have graduated in what research has shown is a challenging and difficult discipline. Secondly, science graduates are often preferred because of their skills such as analysis, writing clear and concise reports, etc.

It is also possible between now and the end of your degree you may choose to do further study rather than directly enter the job market. Indeed, in some careers you will require further study, e.g. accountancy, law, etc.

I was a computer programmer.  I wish I'd been a computer major instead of a biology major.

Conservation Officer (game warden) comes to mind.

So you're a junior in college and haven't thought to find out the answer to this question before now?! Well, for you, none, because you're an idiot who can only be going to some diploma mill for idiots. People employed in the various fields of biology are required to be intelligent and inquisitive, while you've proven you most definitely are neither.