Do I need "all-season tires" for driving in the snow?

Got my first winter coming up dealing with snow and all the locals recommend I get all-season tires but after reading about them they are not really designed for extreme cold weather or designed for deep snow

All-season tires are a compromise between winter/snow and summer tires. 

Ask people who are standing around you. You want the long timers advice. Me I got full summer and  snow tires on extra rims permanently mounted.  It works whether I go to town or go up to the ski hills snow skiing.

You didn't say where you are driving. High snow area? Just occasional snow. Rural area not frequently plowed and not frequently salted/sanded. High elevation northern California or desert southern California?  In the past, I've had winter tires with chains available.

If your car is AWD or 4WD then the all season tires will probably be just fine.  If your car is the standard two wheel drive then you should get snow tires OR carry a set of chains in case you get into deep snow. 

• Dan B

All-season tires are a compromise between winter/snow and summer tires.  Winter/snow tires hae a softer rubber compound and more aggressive tread design for better traction.  Summer tires have a harder rubber compound and less aggressive tread for a smoother, quieter ride.  All-season tires fall in between these rubber compounds and tread designs.  If you're going to be driving in deep snow, I'd recommend winter/snow tires.  Otherwise, all-season should be fine.

So buy real snow tires.

So what's on your vehicle now if they are not all season tires? I's been a long time since I've seen anyone with Summer only tires. If the roads are not snowplowed very fast were you live buy some steel rims and put a set of Bridestone Blizzacks on your ride. It's a pleasure driving on those Winter tires!

I use all season tires.  I never have a problem with cold or snow.  if snow gets too deep, don't drive no matter what the weather.

• Isabel

No, you should use snow tires in winter and normal tires in summer.  All-season are less good all the time.

• Rick

only if you want to move also ....................................