Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 month ago

Cancer from ct scan radiation?

I am a female in my late twenties and I have had about 7 total CT scans done, majority of them on my abdomen due to appendicitis, stomach pain, etc. 

I am worried about my exposure to radiation and am well aware that I have increased my chances of getting cancer. Does anyone have experience or knowledge with this? When am I most likely to develop it? Have you known anyone to get cancer due to exposure to radiation? I know I sound very naive and worried I would just like your thought and opinions on the matter. I feel like my health anxiety has caused me to get all these scans and now I have to face the fact that now I may not live a long life and this could have all been prevented if I was more aware about the damage radiation does to you and not ask for so many CT scans.

Yes I know, I should have known better and did my research, but I was younger and uneducated. It wasn’t until a doctor finally told me the risks that come with radiation where I had a wake up call. Why didnt any other doctor say something? Just one.

Furthermore, I just feel like I’m doomed and that any day now I could develop cancer. It just makes me very worried and depressed and I don’t know who to talk to. Maybe I should see a therapist, idk, but I would just like to reach out on here to see if anyone in the health care field could help me out. What are my chances? Very high?

If there is any advice, statistics or anything you can give, please write below.

Thank you kindly.

as long as the scans are a minimum of 90 days apart  you should be OK .    90 days is enough to repair the DNA damage 

Take vitamin C 2-6 gr/d, vit C prevents radiation damages

• kelvin

you still won't get cancer

The abdominal CT gives off a significant amount of radiation. I have read studies that reports 1:1000 is the risk of getting cancer, from each scan. Even so, with 7 scans, it might be 7:1000, which is still unlikely.

• Tavy

They are perfectly safe, I have had many and am still alive at 73.

No published risk.  You should get some help however with your doomed feelings