Who owns the car if the title says my name then a “&” my mother’s ?

I know my mom was the co signed just paid off the car and the title says for example “John smith & Mary smith” 

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

You both own it, and if you want to sell it she has to agree to it as well.

• zipper
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You both own it, and if you want to sell it she has to agree to it as well. You own it jointly with mother dearest!

• garry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

the person who owns the car is who the receipt was written out too , moms name is on the receipt then shes the owner .

• car253
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Better get the title changed.   If mom dies it may be difficult to get the title out of her name.    Or change the title from "and" to "or". 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • May
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Then you both own the car equally and to sell it or change ownership requires both of you to sign.   You would have to get Mom's signature (and yours) and get a new title to remove Mom's name.

• 1 month ago

Both own the vehicle together.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is joint ownership. Meaning you can't sell the car without her signature and she can't sell the car without your signature.

.   She could sell the car to you by filling out TRANSFER papers and sell it to you for a dollar...and then the registration should then say your name only.  The insurance people will help you out with the necessary paperwork which she must also sign off on.  This is the last time she will have to sign for the vehicle.  No Notary is needed.  You do it in front of the insurer.  That is good enough.

• 1 month ago

AND means you both own the car and BOTH of you have to sign to sell the car.   In other words,  it is owned by both of you and each are prevented from selling it without the consent of the other. 

• 1 month ago

You both own it.

• 1 month ago

The name(s) printed on the title indicate who legally owns the vehicle.  And forget about the "And / Or" detail, because that's just an old myth that refuses to die.

If the title says you and Mom are the owners, you and Mom are the owners.  If it says "Your name & Mom's name", or if it says "Your name, Mom's name", or if it says "Your name / Mom's name" it's all the same thing.  Two names means two owners, three names means three owners, and so on and so forth. 

It doesn't matter who paid for what, it doesn't matter who added their name just for technical reasons, and it doesn't matter who lives at what address.  If someone's name is printed as an owner on the title, they're legally responsible for the vehicle.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.