Alberto asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Small dog for elders?

Hello my grandfather was recently admitted to a nursing home leaving my grandmother home alone without any friends in her building. I would like to get her a small low maintenance dog (less shedding / cleaning.) walking is okay as my Grandmother loves to walk. Any suggestions? Possibly a dog that is hypoallergenic. Thank you in advance. 

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Did she mention she would like to have a dog? Don't surprise her with one. They take lots of care, no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog, low shedding perhaps. She could trip over the dog also. Dogs are high maintenance, walks, Vets, grooming, barking, peeing & pooping, chewing and more. does she have experience in training a dog? Ask her. 

Good Luck!

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

where? dog? when your grandmother dies? whats going to happen to the dog? you going to bury it with her?

did your grandmother request a dog?why doesnt she move in with you if your concerned about her?

dogs arent toysvthey are living creatures and fact she should have a least TWO dogs not one.

a dog cant do much for her.

• ?
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You don't say how old she is but please don't get a puppy.   Puppies need a LOT of work.   Also if you get a dog at all make sure that the dog has back up of either your family or a rescue or breeder because anyone older should have arrangements for where a dog would go if a person couldn't look after it anymore. 

• 4 weeks ago

Do NOT get a dog unless Grandma WANTS  a dog.

If she does then she should be the one to choose the dog.

A senior dog from a shelter would be the best option.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Assume you get a shelter dog that has had all its shots and is fixed and licensed.  There will be an adoption fee,  maybe $50-100.   First year,  probably no cost unless you want to be sure the dog does not have a problem with fleas and ticks and worms.   The medicine for all that will run you $25 a month.   If the dog is small then figure $1 a day for food and treats.    Then there is the new license each year and shots every 2-3 years.   Better have a few hundred laying around for that.   If the dog gets hurt or sick,  more money.  BEFORE you go buy your grandmother a dog find out just how much money she has.  If she is on a fixed income she may not appreciate the cost of a dog.  (Unless you love her so much you will pay ALL the costs of taking care of the dog.)    You had also better have a plan if grandma has to go into the nursing home too.   She will not be able to take the dog and if she is attached to it she will not want it to go to the pound,  so you might have to agree to take the dog..  Never ever give a dog to someone without considering all the costs,  emotional issues and what will happen to the dog if it does not work out.  

• 4 weeks ago

good luck kid but there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog breed in all honesty

• 4 weeks ago

There is a long list of 'hypoallergenic dog(s)/breeds'  online. by looking for the 'dogs' & not breed will bring up a list of some of the XBreed dogs that don't shed or shed very little.  All sizes, all kinds of Xs.  Just have to look to see.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

a poodle although they need to be trimmed, their fur is good for allergic people.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Maybe a small poodle or poodle mix.

But, you say you want to get her a dog. The big question is, does SHE want a dog? Do not, and I can't stress this enough, "surprise" her with one or get one without discussing it with her first.

• 4 weeks ago

Put on a brown furry suit and move in with Grandma.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.