From a skeptic's view what are the best books on paranormal subjects?

I own copies of "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan and "Physics of the Impossible" by Michio Kaku. Both are worth reading.

@ Nine Lives. If my mind was any more open my brain might fall out. 

Favorite Answer

I have recently mentioned Arthur C. Clarke and referred to him as an interested skeptic. Clarke is much closer to the dictionary definition of a skeptic - one who doesn't pass judgment until all the evidence is in. Carl Sagan's tragic, untimely death came before some interesting research was published. Van Lommel's 2001 near-death experience paper drew worldwide attention because it was published in The Lancet, a medical journal whose influence is second only to that of the New England Journal of Medicine. What Dr Sagan might have said about it we'll never know. He was dismissive toward a book about NDE by physician Raymond Moody that's just a collection of anecdotes. Also, I'd like to hear Sagan's take on the Navy jet pilots who said they saw what seemed to be alien spacecraft and the Pentagon's statement about the evidence.

A reader commented that this is the most interesting of van Lommel's findings:

"Significantly more patients who had an NDE, especially a deep experience, died within 30 days of CPR (p<0·0001)."

That is, if you know nothing about a patient who has survived cardiac arrest except whether or not the person reported NDE, you can make an intelligent guess about the person's survival during a 30-day interval, and the chance of this being a lucky guess is less than 1 in 10,000.

I read 'The men Who Stare At Goats' by Jon Ronson to my smootchie honeybuns English Guy and he just absolutely loved it!! Loved it even more than The Dandy Book 1972. Or 'Simple Jokes for the Feeble Minded' both of which were his previous favourites. 

There are very few sceptics on here. They are mostly naysayer denialists who are hardly going to give you a loaded gun to shoot at them. They will refuse to believe anything that that they can't sense with their puny senses even while Nessie is chewing their leg off 

Edit You could not be more right spirit type person with no name. It's like sitting down and writing an entire book about the nonexistence of the Jabberwok. The same here, the place is full of people who claim no belief in paranormal but are back the next day guaranteed???

• 👻

Why are people who are “skeptical” writing books (or reading them) on a subject they have no “belief” in?

That’s like me writing an entire book on atheism, and why I find it makes no sense to be that way, but I’d honestly not have the time, or energy to bother doing that. I know what I think, and I don’t need to bother arguing with the world about it (unless I was secretly conflicted about it...).

• Dr. NG

Tops on most lists is Carl Sagan's "Demon Haunted World." Written in 1995 it is just as relevant now as then. More recent, Adventures in "Paranormal Investigation" by Joe Nickell will have you laughing as you learn. My favorite because the title is something I've always wondered, "Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time"

by Michael Shermer and Stephen Jay Gould 

@Dr. NG - I forgot about Demon-Haunted World.  Definitely a good one.

----------

Why People Believe Weird Things - Michael Shermer.

The Relativity of Wrong - Isaac Asimov.

The Skeptic's Guide to the Paranormal - Lynne Kelly.

The first two are both about pseudoscience in general, rather than specifically "paranormal" claims.  But there's not a lot of difference between the two.

you might be able to find some on amazon

If you still have an open mind, you could learn another view to this universe by Robert A. Monroe "Ultimate Journey" 

Good. Than, the book can provide a bit more enlightenment.