Anonymous

How do I get my roommate to go outside?

My roommate dropped out of school two years ago. He has no job and does not intend on getting one. All he does is stay inside and play video games and watch TV. This is really starting to get distracting especially as a few of my classes I need to take from home. His parents pay his rent and bills on time so that part is not an option. Is there anyhting I can do to get him to do something at least during the day so that I can focus and have a little bit of privacy?

For those who are saying "his own room," this is the common room. I realize some things are outside my control past that but this is why I can't focus.

I'm gonna assume you two have separate bedrooms. if all this stuff is going on in the common room it's kinda unfair that your roommate has to leave the area for you. whether mom or pops are paying rent or he is doesnt matter. if he or his parents contributes to the rent he has a right to be anywhere in the apartment except your room. dont make a big deal outta this. simply tell your roommate that you need quiet for when you need to study and that he can still play his games just to keep the volume down, use headphones, or bring the games in his room and keep the volume down. say he needs to be considerate to you. just tell him what you want him to do and if he doesnt follow through tell him he is gonna lose a roommate if he cant respect you

• Ocimom

I would be looking to finding my own place and taking your stuff and leaving.

• drip

Tell him you need some quiet, solitude during the day for studying.  Just a him for some privacy during classes. Ask him to go in his room for awhile. Ask him to use earphones. Suggest he take a walk. Heck suggest he take a nap. Take a shower. Go do laundry.

How does he get food?

• G R

First off you said "... His parents pay his rent and bills on time so that part is not an option", what is not an option, your comment didn't make any sense.

Surely you have your own room, that being said how is his video game playing distracting especially if one and or both of you can wear headphones.  I can see how it would be annoying having him around and being useless and he should be playing games in his room.  If you haven't told him he is distracting then you need to tell him, he isn't a mind reader and obviously has no common sense or consideration for others.Does his parents know that he doesn't go to classes?Do your parents pay for your rent?When is your lease up?

• Time to find a new roommate or consider living alone.

Umm do you share a bedroom or what?  If not, go into yours, close the door and do your online classes.  If you don't have a table in there, buy one?  You can buy folding tables at Home Depot - 4' or 6' long, plastic.  Great study tables with plenty of space

Talk to him and ask him to give you some quiet time so you can take you classes. You cannot ask him to go outside, the most is to be polite and ask for some quiet time.

He's depressed. I have a similar story. I do the same thing except I live in a condo that my family owns by myself. I want to go out and make a life for myself and think about it every day but I have anxiety and I just won't let myself do it and that leads to more depression so I get on Xbox, Yahoo Answers or YouTube to live in a World that isn't reality. I've attempted to get 2 jobs but I dropped out of High School and neither responded so I get anxious thinking about my social anxiety going to talk for another job and most likely getting denied again and I faced my fear for no reason which leads to more depression. I bet he doesn't specialize in anything either because his anxiety won't let him try something because he's scared/embarrassed of failure.

My history of Epilepsy don't help either. 

Everything I just wrote to you behind an account on the Internet, I couldn't come up with and tell you straight to your face. It's bizarre. 

Go in a room where he isn't and close the door.

• martin

You can't change a person's behavior inside his or her own home.  Go outside yourself and get away.